Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Saints. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yep Varcoe does a lot that you don't see unless at the game. Living in Brisbane I only get to the game here, none in Melbourne. Saw him absolutely busting a gut the entire game, forward and back running. He was the only real player pressuring the Lions defenders when they were switching etc. Most of it doesn't result in a tackle stat or a disposal but he continuously applies the pressure. You can't see all that effort on TV.

Agree on JT. He's not going anywhere unless injured.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:40 am

Beams and Cox are certain ins if fit, probably at the expense of Wills and Reid. I think at least one of JT and Mayne will miss, probably Mayne. Aish or possibly Varcoe will likely replace Mayne. If JT doesn't get up, maybe Wells could replace him. Varcoe has been tried as a forward and hasn't produced, maybe Wells might hit the scoreboard and we have paid him a lot of money for not very much to date.
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 am

I get the feeling Wells will come in this week. I reckon a week we rest a couple and have a 5er.
In: Cox, Beams, Wells, Varcoe and Quaynor.
Out: Reid, Mayne, Thomas, Wills and Greenwood.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:50 am

I still think with 4-5 disposals that Travis Varcoe provides a certain presence that we don't get elsewhere. The way he charges in and hunts the opposition. I'm certain he scares anybody with the football who is within earshot.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:58 pm

SwansWay wrote:
I still think with 4-5 disposals that Travis Varcoe provides a certain presence that we don't get elsewhere. The way he charges in and hunts the opposition. I'm certain he scares anybody with the football who is within earshot.

I agree with this and other posts above that say that Varcoe's contribution cannot be measured by the usual stats. His presence on the ground seems to usually give the team a lift, simply because he shows the boys how to work their hardest.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Damien wrote:
Nobody has won after playing Carlton this season. Just sayin’.

Well bugger me if that isn't correct; what a random statistic! Shocked

Let's hope that we end this madness! Surprised

Hope we can get off to a flyer, a system that was working well until last week, and then perhaps outscore them by a goal or so each quarter after that?

The Brown/Marsh house of cards backline will be curious viewing, if nothing else.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 pm

This mob have struggled to kick more than 70 odd points all season ( vs Dees the only exception )
Surely it can’t / shouldn’t be as close as the Blues game. Surely ?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 am

Don't call me Shirley. Cool
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 am

Pies2016 wrote:
This mob have struggled to kick more than 70 odd points all season ( vs Dees the only exception )
Surely it can’t / shouldn’t be as close as the Blues game. Surely ?

It could be, the Saints are a pretty good team. They've scored 1 less point than the Blues but have conceded 40 less. The Eagles beat them by less than we beat Carlton.

Definitely a game we should win, but we should be prepared for any to be close and a potential upset, because they all are.

Speaking of scoring, we are now the 2nd top scoring team. The numbers would suggest forward is our best line.
Points For: 2nd
Points Against: 4th

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:09 am

If Cox is ready, i'd send Reid back to the magoos. He was putrid on the weekend and looked like the player i thought he would be. He provides a target and a chop out from Grundy, but not much else. Cox is way ahead of him. And he is not like for like with Mihocek.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:09 am

I wonder if Reidy might be given more time to re-establish himself, having come this far. I'm not sure it benefits either himself or the team to drop him back too soon. He was always likely to hit a tough week or two.

That might mean Coxy being an emergency, or if we're feeling cheeky Grundy having the flu.

I would love to see Sier rushed in at senior level given Pendles has shouldered so much of the in-close stuff. The sooner the better with Adams out, you'd think.

A bit more class off half back wouldn't go astray, so in that regard the sooner the better for Quaynor, too. Do you regular seconds watchers think he can make the jump in the near term?

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:20 am

pietillidie wrote:
I wonder if Reidy might be given more time to re-establish himself, having come this far. I'm not sure it benefits either himself or the team to drop him back too soon. He was always likely to hit a tough week or two.

That might mean Coxy being an emergency, or if we're feeling cheeky Grundy having the flu.

I would love to see Sier rushed in at senior level given Pendles has shouldered so much of the in-close stuff. The sooner the better with Adams out, you'd think.

A bit more class off half back wouldn't go astray, so in that regard the sooner the better for Quaynor, too. Do you regular seconds watchers think he can make the jump in the near term?

Grundy is a workhorse. He doesn't like, nor need rest. He has said this many times. This is true of most quality ruckman.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 am

Out : naming players before looking at opposition match-ups or our injury list / training reports.
In : informed decisions on match-ups, form. Tackling.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:14 am

Those calling for Varcoe’s return because “his output isn’t measured by stats” should consider that he was dropped after having a series of games where his output, to the extent that it could be “measured by stats” was almost non-existent. Assuming (as I do) that the Coach can “notice the little things that don’t get caught on the stats sheet” about as well as we do (some might say “better”), it seems that he and his assistants have made the call that no amount of “pressure acts” can compensate for Trav not actually touching the footy and having a kick, say, once a quarter, at minimum.

I’d like Varcoe back because he does have skill, class and pace but the Club obviously wants him to work on something because we were several players short of a functioning midfield last week and he still wasn’t in their plans. In the VFL game thread, Barrackers posted a short summary of each player’s game. His comment on Trav was that “his pressure and tackling was good”. Since that was true of his AFL games before he was dropped, the Coach is probably looking for something more. I think he can make the side better, still - but, barring injuries, he probably won’t get a call up until he starts doing whatever it is the Coach wants him to do. My wild guess is that in a team that plans to dispose of the ball about 20 times per player, every game, that involves getting the Sherrin in his hands more frequently.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:22 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Those calling for Varcoe’s return because “his output isn’t measured by stats” should consider that he was dropped after having a series of games where his output, to the extent that it could be “measured by stats” was almost non-existent. Assuming (as I do) that the Coach can “notice the little things that don’t get caught on the stats sheet” about as well as we do (some might say “better”), it seems that he and his assistants have made the call that no amount of “pressure acts” can compensate for Trav not actually touching the footy and having a kick, say, once a quarter, at minimum.

I’d like Varcoe back because he does have skill, class and pace but the Club obviously wants him to work on something because we were several players short of a functioning midfield last week and he still wasn’t in their plans. In the VFL game thread, Barrackers posted a short summary of each player’s game. His comment on Trav was that “his pressure and tackling was good”. Since that was true of his AFL games before he was dropped, the Coach is probably looking for something more. I think he can make the side better, still - but, barring injuries, he probably won’t get a call up until he starts doing whatever it is the Coach wants him to do. My wild guess is that in a team that plans to dispose of the ball about 20 times per player, every game, that involves getting the Sherrin in his hands more frequently.

His disposals are down nearly 40% over the last year and a half compared to past years.
This is the problem
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: