Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The World Cup - Semis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Mrs Tarrant - I was disgusted to see Gilchrist walk!

I too think he acted on the spur of the moment and if he had his time again he wouldn't have walked, BUT he still shouldn't have done it! It was a very important match and his was a vital wicket for Sri Lanka (I've noticed when Gilly goes out, Ponting's not usually too far behind him! Ponting can't seem to bat with Hayden and anyway I think he's a front runner who only bats well when the whole team bats well - ie. when Gilly and/or Hayden get the Aussies off to a good start. Just my opinion of course!)

And why show such sportsmanship when playing a team of notorious bad sports? As proven when Aravinda didn't walk off when he was blatantly run out! He waited for the third umpire's decision!

Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:19 am

Ponting gives his wicket away too easily.....but he knows that players below him can do the job..... australia will need a bigger score against India to be competitve....ponting/hayden and gilly need a more solid start

Finally somone shows sportsmanship....I think we should applaud him...it was a nice refreshing change

I was very impressed with Lee...he has really stepped up in dizzys absense and seems to have more control over his bowling...well done boys

In the final without a loss....aussies still looking unbeatable....

BACK TO BACK....ALL TOO EASY

TERRY
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:12 pm

I applaud Gilchrist for walking. I think it's great if others follow his lead and I hope that the umpires when they think about an appeal against him for a catch takes into account that if he has nicked it he'll walk coz that's what he does. Then that way he won't get dud decisions against him.

Well done Symonds with the bat and everyone with the ball and in the field. They're a great team.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:52 pm

Yes, Gilly's action may mean a couple of decisions in his favour in the future but apart from that aspect, it wasn't a wise decision.

Because a batsman can't over rule an umpire when he's given 'out', knowing he didn't hit the ball, so he shouldn't over rule the ump when given 'not out' like Gilly did.

If a batsman always 'walks' then, over a career, he'll get 10 or so outs when he wasn't but none on the other side of the ledger to even things up.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:07 pm

Let's not get Gilly's 'walk' confused with the player honesty aspect of third umpire catches - those catches close to the turf when the camera can't pick it but the fieldsman is claiming the catch.

In this area. Gilly has been a leader in just asking the fieldsman and accepting his answer. I think that should be the case. These days, players are far less likely to claim a blatently grounded catch because of the replay scrutiny and possible resultant condemnation.

The two cases are quite different.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:16 pm

Anything to makes the umpires job easier is a good thing and I think more players walking like Lara does and like Gilchrist does is good for cricket.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:24 pm

Kristin. In defence for Arivinda, he stopped and waited 3/4 of the way off the ground. When an umpire has gone to the 3rd umpire, a batsman is not allowed to walk off the ground until the decision has been made. I don't want to sound like I'm on his side, (I can't stand him) but he did nothing wrong.

For Gilchrist, I thought it was a teriffic thing for cricket. What an example he has set. When we play on Saturdays the batting team has to umpire, and we have a team rule that if you are out you walk. Sometimes only a batsman can tell if they have hit the ball or not, (as replay's showed last night) and if he knows he is out he should walk. When you are fielding you would hope for that from the opposition, so why not set an example for the rest of the world.

Well done Gilly!
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:48 pm

Hate to get you on a technicality but a batsman can walk off whilst a 3rd umpire is considering his decision. However, if he crosses the rope he can't come back, even if he was not out.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:04 pm

Looks like we r gonna take on India, Kenya were unfortunatly knocked out after a fantastic World Cup performance.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:53 pm

i like what gilchrist did, good sportsmanship.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:11 pm

S-P-O-R-T-S-M-A-N-S-H-I-P

I know its hard for some Australians to recognise but it still does exist in sport.

Adam Gilchrist proved how much of a quality person he is. Hopefully more cricketers will follow his example in the future.

jlc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: