Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jaya Resigns as Sri Lanka Captain

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:10 pm
Post subject: Jaya Resigns as Sri Lanka CaptainReply with quote

Jayasuriya confirms resignation after Sharjah
CricInfo - 6 April 2003

Sri Lanka skipper Sanath Jayasuriya has confirmed that the ongoing four-nation Sharjah Cup will be his last tournament as captain.

Jayasuriya, interviewed by TEN Sports during Sri Lanka's second game against Kenya, believes the time has come to look to the future and hand over the leadership.

Jayasuriya tendered his resignation soon after the World Cup but was persuaded to stay on by the sports minister and selectors for the Sharjah Cup.

"I was asked to continue for Sharjah but after this they will have to find someone else to do the job," said Jayasuriya. "I have made my decision and I will continue as a player."

Explaining his decision, he said: "After the World Cup I thought the time had come to groom someone for the 2007 World Cup."

The 33-year-old believes Marvan Atapattu, the current vice-captain, is his natural successor: "My personal thinking is that Marvan (Atapattu) should take over - he has a lot of experience and has been vice-captain for some time now."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sri Lanka appoint separate Test and ODI captain
Wisden CricInfo - 17 April 2003

Sri Lanka's selectors have decided to split the Test and one-day captaincy, appointing Hashan Tillakaratne as the new Test captain and handing over the leadership of the one-day side to Marvan Atapattu.

Marvan Atapattu, vice-captain to Sanath Jayasuriya, had been expected to take over complete leadership but the selectors decided instead to following the Australian model of separate captains.

Tillakaratne, who had previously captained the national side in one drawn Test against Pakistan at Lahore in 1999, admitted he had been caught unawares: "I was very surprised but it is a great honour and privilege to lead the side."

The appointment completes a remarkable comeback by the 35-year-old left-hander, who spent two years out of the national side after the 1999 World Cup when the selectors pursued a hardline youth policy.

"I got a raw deal but I went back to club cricket and was determined to score runs and fight my way back. Lots of people got behind me and gave me the confidence to fight-back," said Tillakaratne.

During that period he boosted his captain credentials by leading his domestic club, the Nondescripts Cricket Club, to the first-class championship in 2000-01.

And following his return to the national side in August 2001 he cemented a place in the Test team with a glut of runs, scoring 1053 runs at an average 75.21 with four centuries and two fifties.

Atapattu, 32, has captained Sri Lanka in both forms of the game, impressing during Sri Lanka's last Test played against South Africa at Centurion when he stood in for the injured Jayasuriya.

The right-handed opener is, however, still expected to take over the Test captaincy in the longer term according to the chairman of the selectors, former Sri Lanka leg-spinner Lalith Kaluperuma.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant believe Tillers is captain. Thats too funny to be true.

jlc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: