Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Warney

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bit i agree with is that Australia has a double standard when it comes to drug use.

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:25 am

Two things, JLC.

Australia, as you put it, consists of nearly 20 million people. They (we) are individuals.

You say there's only one bit of the article you agree with so why post it? More just interest than critisism, m8.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:58 am

I posted it as it was an interesting article. Why shouldnt i post it? It was relevant to the topic if Shane Warne.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:46 am

Yep. No worries. I didn't say you shouldn't post it. Just interested.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:19 pm

Classic quote from Patrick Smith. Very Clever i think

"For one of the very few times in his life, Warne is about to find out that not every pitch will accept his spin."

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:21 am

I had to laugh, at the headline anyway. Lol.

WARNE BANNED FROM PLAYING FOR PUB TEAM.

Richard Sydenham (Bloomberg) - 20 March 2003

The Australian Cricket Board has blocked plans for Shane Warne, the former Australian vice-captain serving a 12-month ban for failing a drug test, to play for English club Lashings this year.

Lashings, a club based in south-eastern England that employs high-profile players for exhibition matches, offered Warne a contract to play even though the ACB banned him for taking a banned diuretic.

"On the face of it, it would not appear to be an appropriate activity while he's suspended," said Peter Young, a spokesman for the ACB in an interview. "We would not be giving approval for Shane to play."

Under terms of his ACB contract, Warne needs the ruling body's permission to play any cricket, Young said. Australian cricket officials are working with Warne and his manager to determine what he can do to maintain fitness and form during his suspension, he said.

"Lashings is a private club so he's free to play," said Clare Fathers, a spokeswoman for the ECB. "If Lashings was affiliated to the ECB he wouldn't have been able to."

Lashings, which already signed up Warne's Australia colleague Mark Waugh, also made an offer to former Zimbabwe fast bowler Henry Olonga, who said it's too dangerous to return home after he protested against Robert Mugabe's government during the World Cup.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:46 pm

Warne remains upbeat about comeback
Wisden Cricinfo staff - May 27, 2003

Far from being discouraged by his 12-month ban for drug abuse, Shane Warne has expressed the hope that the suspension would help extend his career.

"I've done it for 15 years, it's a long time ... so I still think I have a few good years left in me," he said. "I'll use these 12 months wisely, keep myself fit as I am now, come up with a few new deliveries, my hunger and my passion stays there [and] hopefully I can play for a few years yet - only time will tell. Hopefully, I will come back better than ever."

Warne stated that he was trying not to think about cricket, but expressed disappointment at not being part of the team on Australia's tour of the West Indies.

"At the moment I'm just trying to forget about cricket, although it's what I love. I'm really missing it at the moment. I missed it the other night when Australia had to keep the Windies to about 50 runs and they had three wickets in hand. I would have loved to have the ball in my hands trying to get them out. The guys [Australian cricketers] have been great, they have been keeping in touch."

Warne also said that spending time with St Kilda, the Australian Football League club, helped him during his suspension. "I was just coming back from my second shoulder operation so I'm trying to use the time to do the things I have always wanted to do. The St Kilda club ... has helped me get through the tough times. I've really enjoyed my time down there, the guys have really been fantastic."

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:12 am

Warne could have played early World Cup matchesWisden CricInfo staff - May 28, 2003

It has been revealed that Shane Warne could have played in Australia's early matches in the 2003 World Cup, but chose instead to admit having tested positive for a banned drug.

John Mendoza, the chief executive of the Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA), told a Senate hearing in Canberra that Warne was woken at his hotel in South Africa on February 10 and told that he had returned a positive drug test. "He elected to notify his team management within a very short period of time of ASDA waking him up in his hotel in South Africa," Mendoza said. "He alone, in consultation with the senior management of the team, decided to remove himself and return to Australia to undertake the hearing. They were entirely his choices."

Under Australian regulations, Warne had the right to remain silent on the positive test for a banned diuretic until a second urine sample was tested. Thus, had he wanted, he could have played in the opening World Cup matches. Instead, he chose to return immediately to Australia where he faced the Australian Cricket Board anti-doping committee. He was subsequently banned from playing cricket for 12 months after the second test proved positive.

"He has rights under the Act which could have meant he could have stayed in South Africa," said Mendoza, "[where] he could have played several [games]. But he, in my view quite wisely, elected to forego those rights and remove himself from the team so the team could get on with the business of what it was to do in South Africa."
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:20 pm

Ban will lengthen career, says Warne
Wisden CricInfo staff - July 11, 2003

Shane Warne has suggested that his enforced one-year lay-off from cricket will help to prolong his international career. Warne, Australia's leading Test wicket-taker and one of Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Century, tested positive for a banned diuretic prior to the World Cup in February, but is determined to pick up where he left off when he returns next year.

"I think it will help me in the long run," said Warne, speaking at a gathering of Australia's Test cricketers in Sydney. "I think I've still got two or three years left in the game. Having this year off is probably going to help me add on another year at the end of my career."

"The year I miss now is hopefully one I'll get back at the end," added Warne. "I've set out a plan. I've been speaking to [coach and mentor] Terry Jenner a fair bit and working on a few different things. I'm going to catch up with [former Test spinner] Johnny Gleeson while I'm in Sydney and talk about a few different things. We've got a few different things that hopefully when I come back, they'll be okay.

Asked about the current state of his bowling, Warne said: "I've only done it once since then [the suspension]. I'm a little bit rusty. Hopefully I'll pick it up quickly."

Warne's Test captain, Steve Waugh, also believes that a comeback is inevitable. "I've talked to him quite a bit in this enforced absence and I know he's very keen to come back," said Waugh. "He loves the big stage and the big opportunities and the big challenge, and all three of those will be happening next year. It's up to Shane. He's got the talent. If he's got the desire, there's no reason why he can't be successful."

Warne added that the presence in Sydney of so many current and former Australian Test cricketers had further fuelled his ambition. "It's like anything - if you love what you're doing, and you're passionate about it and it's taken away from you, you obviously miss it.

"Just spending time with these guys makes you appreciate ... when you all get together, there's a special bond between all the players of all the eras. We've all done the same thing, represented Australia. It makes you feel proud standing next to these sorts of guys."

For the time being though, Warne's comeback to Test cricket will be as a television commentator for Australia's Tests against Bangladesh in Darwin and Cairns this month.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 8:04 pm

Border expects speedy return to team for Warne
Wisden CricInfo staff - August 5, 2003

Allan Border, the former Australian Test captain who is now a selector, expects Shane Warne to make an immediate return to the national side after his one-year suspension ends on February 10 next year, before Australia's tour of Sri Lanka.

Warne was suspended after testing positive for a banned substance just before the 2003 World Cup, and he has had almost no cricket since then, but Border does not see that as too much of a hindrance. "I think he's so good that he could come straight back into the squad," he said, "and we'll have the opportunity in the summer months to get Shane involved in the squad."

Border added: "He's allowed to bowl in the nets and prepare himself, so we'll just monitor how he's going in the nets."

Border also had words of praise for Stuart MacGill, who has picked up wickets regularly in Warne's absence and most recently recorded three five-wicket hauls in four innings against Bangladesh. "He's not really just keeping Shane Warne's place warm," said Border. "He's really taking it on himself and he's bowling so well that he's putting the pressure on."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: