Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#49, #10 Rupert Betheras

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athas 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams has been MIA fo a while now.
He needs time back at Willi to get things together.
MM seems to favour Williams and I don't understand why. He had a blinding start to the year but has been dissapointing for a while.
Drop Williams and bring back roop.

Roop is a gun and he'll be back. He performs in the big matches and adds guts when we need it.

Bring back the roop!
kaz7 Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:17 pm

heath must be nearly due for a run. His form the last few weeks at willy has been right on the money. Cant be too far away now.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:08 am

As noted above Kaz7, Heath was injured in the last quarter of the Willi vs Tas game. It's not a bad one but hasn't helped his cause either.

But this thread is about Rupert Betheras. People seem to have a very emotional attachment to him, probably because he has to work harder than just about anybody in the team to get the most out of himself, not being blessed with natural gifts.

I don't think he's done enough, consistently enough, to justify a recall at to the seniors at this stage. And if/when he gets it he's going to have to fight like hell to keep that spot - as is anyone coming into the side.

I agree Williams should be dropped, so there may be a spot available this week. Betheras is a possibility, but so is Davis, Scotland if he comes up, and even Luke Shackleton who really made his presence felt on the weekend. Guy Richards is a tall player pushing for a spot, and is a true knock ruckman type - watch out Stunning Steve McKee. Then we've got to make room for Presti when he comes back...

Anyone want to be a selector come finals time?

Weed

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:29 am

magpie greg wrote:
Leon Davis should not get the nod before all the others mentioned above.

Davis has shown he is not up to it this year. His Willy form has been quite mediocre.

Again, so quick to judge, MG. He was great most of last year. This year he's been through the wringer personally and now he has to learn to broaden his game. So have a few others on the list. Plenty thought Brodie Holland "not up to it" by the end of last year.

A lot of stick has been levelled at the young kids at the club this week (as usual, following a loss). Rupert Betheras is now in his mid-late 20s. He is at a far more delicate stage of his career. Now is a very appropriate time to be asking if he's "up to it".

Weed

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:12 am

Rupert is obviously out of favour with the match committee or the coach. One of our hardest players and one of our best performers in last years finals. The way it looks I don't feel he will be a magpie next year.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:33 pm

I don't really think Rupe's good enough to return to the side just yet, but Scotland has to get a go at some point
he's just about best for williamstown every week anyway.
I'd like to see Richards or Richardson get a go they've both had to wait a long time to get a game

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:38 pm

the_weed wrote:
magpie greg wrote:
Leon Davis should not get the nod before all the others mentioned above.

Davis has shown he is not up to it this year. His Willy form has been quite mediocre.

Again, so quick to judge, MG. He was great most of last year. This year he's been through the wringer personally and now he has to learn to broaden his game.

going on last years merits is a weak argument. leon has been shit this year and why should he get a game now that were gonna be in the finals and hes been crap even in the ressies. he hasnt earned his spot, which is why he doesnt have one.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:43 pm

It's only a weak argument if you choose to read it that way, CQ. What I actually said (read my post again and don't be so quick to get your usual cynical response in) is that Davis was one of a few players, along with Rupert Betheras and Heath Scotland, pushing for a senior recall.

The second thing I said, in response to Magpie Greg, was that one poor year of football (which Leon has certainly had) does not mean he's "not up to it". And made the comparison with Brodie Holland, who plenty of people thought would be traded at the end of last year because they thought he wasn't "up to it" either.

So, I wasn't arguing that Leon deserves a recall to the seniors now. But I have no doubt that he has a future in senior football, whether you think he's been "shit" or not.

Keep smiling, if you can

Weed

Macgyver 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:27 pm

My view is that Rupe should be in the team before a dud like andrew williams. Rupe is ten times the player that tosser is!
paulie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:15 pm

I think most people thought that one R.Shaw was not up to it either at the end of last year but this week signed a new two year deal.Lets not be too quick to judge players who are going through a form slump during their early development.The Roop has been around a bit longer but is just low on confidence at the moment he WILL bouce back and how!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: