Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cricket ? - Like watching paint dry

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:31 am
Post subject: Cricket ? - Like watching paint dryReply with quote

Cricket ?? You must be joking.

Like watching paint dry or grass grow. A good way to catch up on some sleep - get comfy on the couch and watch the cricket. Cricket ?? How boring !!

Well, all these used to be true of the grand old game but the way the Aussies play makes watching cricket fun - again.

You would only have had to watch the recent India v. New Zealand Test matches to appreciate how fortunate we are to have a skipper like Steve Waugh and players like Matt Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Andy Bichel etc. who just love getting on with the game.

Waugh would rather go down fighting, trying for a win, than play out a boring draw as in both the recent Indian Tests.

The Aussies set out to win from the first over whereas the majority of other teams still seem to set out to draw a Test and hope a win eventuates.

That sort of attitude almost killed off Test cricket through the fifties. Once again it took some innovative thinking from an Aussie captain to save the day. Richie Benaud put his head together with Frank Worrall at the start of the famous 1960/61 series (Oz/Windies) and they set out to play brighter cricket.

The first Test produced the most dramatic finish to a Test. A tie. The first ever. This captured the public's imagination and they were attracted back to Test cricket. The whole series produced some wonderful cricket.

Although the Aussies slipped back into a period of less exciting cricket under Bobby Simpson and then Bill Lawry, in the early '70s, Ian Chappell's great team emerged.

Players like Lillee, Thommo, Tangles, Walters, Rod Marsh and Chappell injected excitement back into the game.

Then, in the early '80s we suddenly lost Lillee, Greg Chappell and Marsh who all retired at the same time which left a gaping hole. One that took some years to recover from.

Interestingly, because he was not seen as an exciting captain, it was Bob Simpson - as Australia's coach - who led Australia out of the wilderness.

He and Allan Border demanded, and got, a more professional and positive attitude from the players which led to a World Cup victory and produced players like Dean Jones, David Boon, Steve Waugh, Craig McDermott etc.

This led into the Taylor/Waugh era of captaincy. We have dominated the world scene since the all conquering Ashes tour of '89 until the present. Players like McGrath, Hughes, Warne, Mark Waugh, Ponting, Hayden, Healy - and then Gilly - emerged.

The secret of our success ? Positivity, creativity, ruthless aggression, leadership, a touch of larrikin (Hughes, Warne), innovative coaching and the Aussie competitive spirit.

It's not all sunshine and light. There's the often heard accusations from the other teams of our on field behaviour being 'over the top' and petulant outbursts from Warne and McGrath but, overall, I love watching any game involving the present Australian team.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Gilly the best opening batsman in ODIs ?

He's amazing. What a buzz to watch.

labrooy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:54 am

I agree with your assessment. Although I tend to think Border and Taylor both went safety first. It is really Steve Waugh that has brought into the Aussie game the risk of losing in order to win. And very successfully I might add.

The bowlers will tend to concede more runs per over than before because of this attacking philosophy. Waugh will rarely stop attacking even if the batsmen are on top. Once again this tactic has succeeded more often than failed.

As for Gilly being the best ODI opener, that is probably true but I would suggest Tendulker, Gibbs, Jayasuriya and our own Matty Hayden might have different ideas.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:58 am

I'm glad we agree. I'm not sure I can use my assessment for that.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:40 am

Yes, labrooy, I agree about Border/Taylor/Waugh. It was a steadily evolving policy through those years, to the present day aggressive/positive approach.

Re. ODI openers: Since Sri Lanka won a World Cup with their openers setting out to utilise the early fielding restrictions by hitting out, some teams have elevated a middle order Test batsman to the opening spot with a licence to hit out. eg. Mark Waugh, Gilchrist, Tendulkar etc.

So, opening batsmen are trying to be attacking, most of the time, depending on conditions.

Here are the strike rates of the leading ODI openers:

Gilchrist - 92
Jayasuriya - 89
Trescothick - 87
Tendulkar - 86.5
Gibbs - 82
Anwar - 81
Gayle - 77.5
Hayden, Mark Waugh - 77
Vaughan - 73
Smith - 72

labrooy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:10 pm

I have to admit that I love watching Gilchrist batting in any form of cricket. I don't think he knows how to defend. I would hate to bowl to him when he has his eye in. His 113no in the First Test against Zimbabwe will unfortunately, and quite rightly, fade into insignificance but would have to rank as one of the best innings I have seen.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:48 pm

Yep, I also though Gilly's 'supporting' role was magnificent in Perth.

I experienced a somewhat similar occurrence in a match. Our opener was 78 when the 2nd. wicket fell. My best strokeplayer, Ben, was padded to come in at 4. I'll never forget it. I said to him, "Mate, just support Tim to his ton then you can take over. OK ?" He nodded.

When Tim reached his century, Ben was 80 !! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: