Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We can beat Aussies: Javed Miandad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:08 am
Post subject: We can beat Aussies: Javed MiandadReply with quote

We can beat Aussies: Javed
From correspondents in Faisalabad
October 29, 2003

JUBILANT Pakistan coach Javed Miandad said his young side could beat world No,1 Australia and arch-rivals India after their historic 1-0 series win over South Africa today.

Pakistan, set 302 for victory, batted throughout the final day's play to force the draw with 6-242 and seal the series following their victory in Lahore.

"This is a young side but has developed the capability to beat Australia and India," said Miandad.

"Winning against South Africa is a big thing because they are one of the top two teams in the world and India is not as strong as South Africa," he added.

It is the first time Pakistan have won a Test series against South Africa, and their first victory over a major cricketing power in six years.

India's government last week proposed reviving cricketing links with Pakistan, raising hopes of an Indian team touring Pakistan in February-March next year for the first full Test series since 1989-90.

"We are ready for India and this young team has the confidence and with key players Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Sami returning we would perform even better against New Zealand next month," said Miandad.

Pakistan host New Zealand for a five-match one-day series next month before flying to NZ for a two-match Test and five-match one-day series.

Miandad has rebuilt Pakistan's side following their embarrassing first-round exit at this year's World Cup.

Since beating the West Indies in 1997-98, Pakistan have lost home series to Australia, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and England in the last six years.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Javed reckons his team could beat the Aussies ?

Well for a start, any good coach and motivator would be saying such things and good on him. He was always a great competitor, especially against Australia.

Pakistan always seem to produce very good players, and often, 'out of the blue. We have that fascinating story of Imran Khan noticing a young bowler in the nets and rushing him into the national team. His name ? Wasim Akram.

Then there was an impossibly young Shahid Afridi bursting onto the scene with the fastest ODI century ever - in his first game !! Incidently, where is he now ?

Yasir Hameed recently came 'from nowhere' to debut with two centuries in his first Test.

Asim Kamal hit 99 in his debut Test when he came in to replace the injured Inzamam. Imran Farhat hit 128 to help set up a first innings lead against Sth. Africa in his 6th. Test.

Taufeeq Umar already has 4 centuries and 9 fifties in his 17 Tests and was named Player of the Series against Sth. Africa.

When Wasim Akram retired and Waqar Younis was stood down, Shoaib Akhtar stepped up as spearhead but he fell foul of the match referee and was suspended and replaced by Shabbir Ahmed Khan. In 4 Tests, he's taken 23 wickets @ 21.08.

Then there's Mohammad Sami and Umar Gul, both talented young pacemen and a very good all rounder in Abdul Razzaq.

Danish Kaneria, at 23, is a very young leggie who has already racked up 62 wickets @ 26.06 in his 14 Tests with a best of 7/77.

Over the years, Pakistan has had some real champions. Miandad, Imran, Wasim, Saeed Anwar, Waqar etc. but have been dogged by inconsistency and corruption allegations.

Javed looks to have instilled some discipline into his young team and they reckon they're ready for all comers.

Since their disasterous World Cup, They've really only beaten Bangladesh and Sth. Africa, on home wickets but winning form is good form - if they can build on it.

Only Sth. Africa ? Rated the second best team in the world ? This is true but I reckon they're slipping. Gibbs and Smith show flashes of brilliance but are inconsistent. Their batting relies on a 'soon to retire' Gary Kirsten and Jaques Kallis. The newer middle order players - McKenzie, Dippenaar, Rudolph, Hall - are promising but not quite there yet.

Since Donald retired, their attack is heavily reliant on Shaun Pollock and they seem short of a good spinner. Adams and Petersen were unable to break Pakistan on a 5th. day wicket, yesterday.

A healthy Pakistan is good for world cricket. Let's hope they get to play India soon. I'd like to see that. Very Happy

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:42 pm

Beat us...? Planning on having both their neutral "umpires" officiating the series?
Or is that defecating the series? Yes, umpires "Heezacheeta" and "Heezgivenim" love neutralising Australia.

Dyso

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:47 pm

Piedys,

Yr argument can cut both ways. Australia had been known to unleash Darrell Hair on touring teams too.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:11 pm

What's the problem with Darrell Hair, wombat ?

He's well respected by all countries except Sri Lanka - and that's because he had the guts to call Murali for chucking. Other umpires agree with Hair in private but don't want to attract the flak for calling 'poor little Murali'

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:46 pm

Okay, i'll say it then... "chucka, chucka, chuckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"!!

dyso

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:18 pm

I can only go on what Ritchie or Tony Grieg says because I'm no big konwledge on cricket. Both have described Darrell Hair as "in the top few umpires in the world." - good enough for me.

The paki's will do ok against us, but ok it not good enough to beat us. We ARE the best in the world and we continue to prove it.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
tazza2000 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:46 pm

Solution....Clone Billy Bowden!! Laughing Laughing
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:06 pm

Allow me to elaborate re D.B Hair.

Firstly, he was the recipient of a certain degree of patronage. He was a club team-mate of Allan Border at Mosman in the Sydney grade competition. Our dear Allan had a number of run-ins with some Australian umpires, especially in latter career some of wholm were subsequently frozen out to varying degrees.

Notwithstanding his early performances which were less than distinguished, his manner with players was less than satisfactory and he was the subject of negative official reports from a number of touring teams.

With regards to the Intl panel, in it's early years the various member countries nominated whatever umpire(s) to the intl panel. Good match reports or bad, these guys were there as long as they kept being nominated and good old Darrell was our man.

A book he put out in the mid 90's, a somewhat vainglorious offering, in defence of some of his actions portrayed him, in my eyes, as a somewhat arrogant soul. Have read surveys in past of Aus first class cricketers where he was rated far from no 1 man in Aus game.

Now to his defence. In recent years, he has lightened up considerably and has acquired glasses. Certainly he is NOW a far better ump. Have actually umpired a few matches with him. Except where otherwise indicated, these are my views however similar views of Hair are common in Syd cricket circles.

Burn me at the stake if you wish.

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:51 pm

Is there such a thing as a wombat witch?? Burning at the stake is for witches only I thought. Maybe my thoughts are medievil. Smile

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:17 pm

Hmmm, is that the smell of wombat hair burning ?

Or just Darrell Hair ? Laughing

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:18 am

All those waiting to eradicate the Wombat, please take yr place in the queue!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: