Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tim Lane

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Brayshaw taking over the footy show and always having north players on it, no one batted an eyelid.
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Tim Lane was grandstanding. I dont like the guy.
He happily called Carlton games with Steven Silvagni as special comments, when Silvagni was a Carlton board member and admitted salary cap cheat.

He also commentated "Go you Blues" when they defeated Richmond by a point way back 15 years ago. Only has high standards when it comes to Eddie and Collingwood.

I like Eddie's commentary on any game.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 pm

90 nice wrote:
Tim Brian Taylor and Johnathan Brown are 3 of the worst anti pies comment in footy. Said how Brian Taylor has turned out.

Umm..... Brian Taylor is a Collingwood supporter and loves the club. He works for the club and MC's most of the club events. I think you have your wires crossed champ

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Commentating? Who gives a rip? Really is that such a bad thing that there is bias in commentating? It adds to the game. Imagine if you had two opposing Club Presidents commentating, bring it on, that would be awesome (keeping it good natured). Yes of course it could become nauseating but I'd be in favour more than not.

In actuality I think some of you are going a bit hard on old Tim. All thoughts of any 'conflict of interest' aside, I mean if he was lured under the pretense that such an arrangement was in place and then they reneged then he has a right to feel aggrieved. I Would be. What is interesting is that the discussion with Ed became heated, to me that seems like more than some disagreement on bias and probably questioning integrity. I don't know. If someone questioned my integrity over some conflict, even though I could see their point, then I'd get pissed about it. And in any case how does that influence the game in any way?

Sorry to hijack the thread. If we want to talk bias, then umpiring, that's the real problem. Umpires should declare their Club alignment and not be permitted to umpire those games. Yes that's a question of integrity but let's remove any possibility of any bias. It's human nature. I've seen it from junior level (community clubs and schools) and at the end of the day it's no big deal, but it does happen.

Right now I just want some footy, biased or not.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Has anyone been on the opposite side of an argument with Ed?

One of the great Collingwood men, but in my experience, "heated" is never far away.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Has anyone been on the opposite side of an argument with Ed?

One of the great Collingwood men, but in my experience, "heated" is never far away.

I think Eddie takes the same line as Stalin, in WW2, when Stalin said, NOT ONE STEP BACK. ! Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 am

AnthonyC wrote:
Commentating? Who gives a rip? Really is that such a bad thing that there is bias in commentating? It adds to the game.

Mate are you kidding? There's bias, which is natural, and there's deliberate spite:

"I hate Collingwood and Eddie so much I'm not going to say anything positive about any of the players or club the entire broadcast. And when a Collingwood player has the ball or does something good, I'm going to ignore it and talk about the other team non-stop. And I'm going to question every free kick given to Collingwood, and demand free kicks against Collingwood."

Because that's what we often got. There were games it was so bad, I turned the volume off and listened to a radio broadcast.

Totally agree with you on umpires though! Especially West Coast umpires. Remember when an ex-Pies player (geez who was it? I've gone blank. Josh something?) became an umpire? Everyone was jumping up and down how biased he would be for us.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed May 13, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:25 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Remember when an ex-Pies player (geez who was it? I've gone blank. Josh something?) became an umpire? Everyone was jumping up and down how biased he would be for us.

Mark Fraser was the Pies player turned umpire.
Some commentators especially Lane, Walls, Dunstall, Mckay, to name a few just can't help themselves. We just have to take it! Part of being a Pies supporter!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am

Fraser! He's the one. I remember some in the media questioned whether he should be allowed to umpire Collingwood games.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Fraser! He's the one. I remember some in the media questioned whether he should be allowed to umpire Collingwood games.

That was from 05 when we beat the Eagles when we where bottom of the Ladder and they where on Top

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am

I recall a match in 2010 when Collingwood played Carlton on a Sunday at the MCG. I was overseas and managed to pick up an audio call. Tim Lane was commentating with special comments by Robert Walls. Collingwood lead by 5 goals when Carlton suddenly clicked and kicked 5 quick goals. They were both in raptures. But then Collingwood steadied and replied with 5 goals. Walls went quiet but Lane was very generous in his praise of Collingwood and predicted that Collingwood would probably win the premiership, a bold and accurate prediction.

Tim Lane is an outstanding commentator. He's descriptive, factual and unbiased. Ok he barracks for Carlton but that doesn't come through in his commentaries. Statements that he's biased against Collingwood are ridiculous.

Eddie was pushed into commentating Collingwood matches whilst still president, by James Packer. It was wrong and Lane was within his rights to object. Foxtel understands this and never puts Eddie in charge of Collingwood games. This will change after Eddie is no longer president but that (I hope) will be in the distant future.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:41 pm

When we play Carlton, Tim Lane will always mention the Wayne Harmes GF incident. It's like he eagerly waits for the ball to almost go out of bounds in that pocket of the MCG just to raise it.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:12 pm

Mossi wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Remember when an ex-Pies player (geez who was it? I've gone blank. Josh something?) became an umpire? Everyone was jumping up and down how biased he would be for us.

Mark Fraser was the Pies player turned umpire.
Some commentators especially Lane, Walls, Dunstall, Mckay, to name a few just can't help themselves. We just have to take it! Part of being a Pies supporter!

He played for Essendon briefly after us

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Harrysz wrote:
I recall a match in 2010 when Collingwood played Carlton on a Sunday at the MCG. I was overseas and managed to pick up an audio call. Tim Lane was commentating with special comments by Robert Walls. Collingwood lead by 5 goals when Carlton suddenly clicked and kicked 5 quick goals. They were both in raptures. But then Collingwood steadied and replied with 5 goals. Walls went quiet but Lane was very generous in his praise of Collingwood and predicted that Collingwood would probably win the premiership, a bold and accurate prediction.

Tim Lane is an outstanding commentator. He's descriptive, factual and unbiased. Ok he barracks for Carlton but that doesn't come through in his commentaries. Statements that he's biased against Collingwood are ridiculous.

Eddie was pushed into commentating Collingwood matches whilst still president, by James Packer. It was wrong and Lane was within his rights to object. Foxtel understands this and never puts Eddie in charge of Collingwood games. This will change after Eddie is no longer president but that (I hope) will be in the distant future.

You need to go back and watch a few games when Tim Lane was commentating us. Especially when he was at 10 with Throbby Walls.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:53 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
When we play Carlton, Tim Lane will always mention the Wayne Harmes GF incident. It's like he eagerly waits for the ball to almost go out of bounds in that pocket of the MCG just to raise it.

Lane seems to mention the disaster of the 1970 GF any chance he gets too, for younger Pies fans,we were nearly eight goals up at half time, against his Bluebellies, and still lost by ten points, i could not be consoled that night. He seems to love to shove that game at us, and that does, to put it mildly, shit me to tears. Rolling Eyes Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: