Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jordan De Goey or Jeremey Cameron?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only swap De Goey for Bontempelli, and nothing less.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Unless we get a star in return, like for like, then keep him. He’s 24, put a serious midfield preseason into him and let him rip. If he wants to be a midfield star, then he needs to put in the work Dusty, and even Pendles, do. Dusty is a self-motivated training machine, should have seen him training when footy was on hold, he was a man on fire. I bet Jordy wasn’t. If he thinks he can go to Carlton and be a midfield star without putting in the work required, then he’ll be the same at the Blues... but richer in the bank account I guess. The thing that irks me is that JDG was the one who approached Carlton, not them. Why not tell Bucks, hey I want to play midfield like Dusty, help me achieve that. And Bucks would bend over backwards to help him do it if he put in the same work ethic. You don’t get to Dusty’s level on talent alone

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:33 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
What is it with us and players using their dads as managers to squeeze more money? I’m not comparing Roger to the fabulous David Cloke, but it’s déjà vu

It isn't really comparable, though, is it? There was a lot of whining about Travis but he actually played 12 seasons for us and Collingwood dumped him (rather than the other way around). He won the Copeland Trophy before he turned 21 and was the dominant forward in the competition, year in and year out, for a decade. He was the jewel in the crown of a dominant Collingwood era - the one player that, week in and week out, no-one could stop. Travis had lots of suitors and could have gone any time he wanted for much more money - but he never did.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 pm

^^ David should have stayed out of it. That’s what I’m saying, it rarely ends well when the old man negotiates a players bank account. Gotta be careful with managers too, but I think JDG needs to get a second and third opinion on what he’s worth and where he should play.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 pm

I don't think you have a point, with respect. David negotiated deals that saw Travis remain effectively a one-club player - until Buckley decided that he didn't want Travis any more. Travis actually deserved much better than he got from the Club for his loyalty - he had suitors willing to give him the world from the time his initial contract came up for renewal. And he never, ever preferred an external suitor to staying with Collingwood.

Things could, of course, have been handled better when he negotiated his last big deal with us but, in my view, his father was right to require a longer deal than was on offer. Even the best KPFs tend to decline rapidly when they get to their late twenties. Travis was probably the number 1 player in the game when that contract was being negotiated and we tried to bargain him down to a short contract. Fairly stupid, really.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:48 pm

I prefer De Goey negotiating for himself. That way it saves the 10-20% management fees which go back to the player which reduces the cost for the club in having to pay De Goey more money.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Nope, the Cloke drama derailed our season. Don’t get me wrong, I was annoyed Trav left, I desperately wanted him to stay. But the ongoing contract saga wasn’t good and affected the team. However, I’m more angry at how the umps treated Trav, it was diabolical what opposition players got away with on him
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Of course it did - but the Club could have resolved all of that by doing the deal, instead of trying to low-ball him.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Who would have been squeezed out of the club if we signed an injured Cloke on big money? I remember we had salary cap issues. Yes the club should have compromised, but I still think David should have too.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:46 pm

So, in terms of outcomes, a “ swap “ of DeGoey for Cameron would look something like -

Collingwood - Cameron ( as a free agent ) and Carltons round one and round two picks ( approx only )
Carlton - DeGoey
GWS - one less quality player to worry about but they do receive a good free agency compensation pick in return for Cameron departing.

Surely you would have to at least entertain that scenario.
We could easily further bolster our mid field stocks by trading on the Blues first rounder and still keep our original first round pick for McInnes.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:08 pm

I agree that trading JDG/signing JC would open up other trading options. - Merrett? Smith? Caldwell? Witherden?

Unless we're somehow able to keep JDG and still sign JC. But how? (Varcoe, Reid, Dunn, Beams, Langdon, etc - is that enough money??).

Lets keep De Goey, but it's at least worth waiting to see what Carlton offer.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:10 pm

Carlton are not interested it seems.
Could we offer him to North?
They have picks 2 and 9. One of those and their second pick would do it.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Is there any other way of getting JC without trading De Goey?
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Is there any other way of getting JC without trading De Goey?

Not with the salary cap situation.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:21 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
So, in terms of outcomes, a “ swap “ of DeGoey for Cameron would look something like -

Collingwood - Cameron ( as a free agent ) and Carltons round one and round two picks ( approx only )
Carlton - DeGoey
GWS - one less quality player to worry about but they do receive a good free agency compensation pick in return for Cameron departing.

Surely you would have to at least entertain that scenario.
We could easily further bolster our mid field stocks by trading on the Blues first rounder and still keep our original first round pick for McInnes.

Carlton need to trade for Zac Williams and Adam Saad. Not sure they will have their first 2 picks to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: