Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Match a High Reef Bid or Not?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Match a High Reef Bid or Not?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 22

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:50 pm
Post subject: Match a High Reef Bid or Not?Reply with quote

Closer the Draft Gets More likely Reef Goes before Collingwood's 1st Pick.

Do we Match or Pass IF too Expensive like losing Pick 14 and Pick 16 goes into the 20-30's?

mugway05 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies are going to trade pick 14 and next years first round pick to the Bombers for pick 9. They will then use pick 16 on Reef

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:21 pm

mugway05 wrote:
Pies are going to trade pick 14 and next years first round pick to the Bombers for pick 9. They will then use pick 16 on Reef

Source for this?

As just Media Talk at the Moment.

Essendon don't have Pick 9

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:52 pm

We're matching a bid for Reef IMO as it's makes little sense not to unless Hine rates the players who will realistically still be available at pick 16 or 17 (which 14 will slide to) as clearly better options.

As it stands now if Adelaide bid at 9 and our pick 14 had already slide to say 16 then our now pick 18 would fall 4 spots to 22 in matching the bid.

Personally I'll be very surprised if we don't turn our future 1st into another 1st round selection on the night and leave with at least 3 promising talents taken within the first 25. If Reef escapes an early bid then it could be 4.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm

The first thing to remember is that the earlier a club calls his name, the further confirmation it is that another club rates him very highly.
So on that basis, I would have no problem if he was called out early and then we matched it.
The best and most practical way to avoid an unwanted outcome is to bundle up 14 and 16 for one earlier pick that would be used before his name was called out. The only problem is that it takes two to tango, so we need a willing recipient.
As already suggested, ideally we would complement the above with swapping our 2021 first rounder for a 2020 first rounder.
McInnes selection SHOULD then look after itself by going into deficit in the 2021 draft.

That would give us two picks around 10 and then McInnes shortly after.
As for McInnes, he’s still got a few areas to work on and I would be shocked if his name was called out anywhere before 12 at the very earliest. I can name at least six talls who will be called out before he even comes into contention and the 2020 form lines on some of the interstate mids are to good to look past.

The deadline for swapping picks before this draft has now come and gone.
None of the above can now happen until on the night. It’s going to be the longest first twenty picks of any draft we have had.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The first thing to remember is that the earlier a club calls his name, the further confirmation it is that another club rates him very highly.
So on that basis, I would have no problem if he was called out early and then we matched it.
The best and most practical way to avoid an unwanted outcome is to bundle up 14 and 16 for one earlier pick that would be used before his name was called out. The only problem is that it takes two to tango, so we need a willing recipient.
As already suggested, ideally we would complement the above with swapping our 2021 first rounder for a 2020 first rounder.
McInnes selection SHOULD then look after itself by going into deficit in the 2021 draft.

As for McInnes, he’s still got a few areas to work on and I would be shocked if his name was called out anywhere before 12 at the very earliest. I can name at least six talls who will be called out before he even comes into contention and the 2020 form lines on some of the interstate mids are to good to look past.

None of the above can now happen until on the night. It’s going to be the longest first twenty picks of any draft we have had.

Doubt you Trade a 1st Rounder until you know who is left on the Board

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 am

Pies2016 wrote:

Mate I can’t find loads of info on Reef and what I find is a bit conflicting
I know your all over the 18’s can you give me a assessment on what he brings and what he needs to work on in your opinion
I have no doubt his talented but to want extent and dies that fill a void we have now
Cheers in advance
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:00 am

Rather get a KPF than Reef
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 am

Yes 👍🏽 I reckon Collingwood should wait and grab the very best available for an urgent need of the team at this pick. If that happens to be Reef, well and good and so be it but I think it’s a wait and see situation for the best option.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:43 pm

I dont think any bids will come in until the mid-teens. We've got this.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:48 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Mate I can’t find loads of info on Reef and what I find is a bit conflicting
I know your all over the 18’s can you give me a assessment on what he brings and what he needs to work on in your opinion
I have no doubt his talented but to want extent and dies that fill a void we have now
Cheers in advance

Mate, I’m happy to tell his story but to be honest, with no junior footy played in Vic in 2020, I have nowhere near the feedback that normally comes with 15 years of being around the Sandy Dragons. Not being around the people that know in 2020 has seriously limited my mail on him.

Firstly, I will tell you a little about him but more importantly, I will then explain why there is so much conjecture about where spotters believe he will go.
He’s basically a tall utility who can play anywhere but down the spine.
He’s a neat player, has good speed, uses the ball well on his preferred side but doesn’t have great endurance or body strength in the contest ( nothing out of the ordinary for most U18 prospects ) His 2km trial wasn’t great and that caught people’s attention for the wrong reasons. He’s tough and hard at it and apparently he’s also a good kid away from footy by all accounts )

Where it becomes interesting is that clubs GENERALLY either take one of two views on tall utilities. Some clubs reckon they’re the solution to everything because they just keep throwing them around until they find their best spot. Then there are the clubs who reckon unless these 190 + cm players are special talents, most times they end up becoming average flankers because they are poor below their knees, can’t establish the required fitness base and can’t work in phone boxes. With that in mind, there may yet be a club (supposedly Essendon ) who goes early on him because they obviously rate him of course but they may also be happy to pay slight overs with his height advantage. That could see him picked as early as Essendons # 8 pick if they thought that way. Personally, I doubt this as the kid simply isn’t the tenth best player in the draft ( remember #8 drifts out to #10 if Ugle -Hagen and Campbell receive those expected early N G A bids )

The other wild card in this years draft is that the interstate kids have had so much more game day exposure ( and in the seniors ) that a lot clubs will pick interstate kids before the Vic kids based on the devil you know vs the devil you don’t. Kids like Carroll, Cook and Powell who are interstate ball magnet mids could all go before McInnes not because they’re necessarily better but because their 2020 form is much more exposed. This would obviously work to our favour if a number of clubs went that way. That sort of thinking could see him drift out to 24 / 25 on the night.

Finally, everyone wants McInnes to be this Bont like mythical creature who takes us to the promised land but the truth is he had very little time in the Chargers midfield in 2019. In fairness, he was a bottom ager but guys like Rowell, Anderson and Bianco kept him outside the square. Even Phillips and MacRae ( who will go before him in this years draft ) spent more time in the middle than he did.
We need to remember right now, he’s more a promising utility type than he is a genuine mid. The club will develop him but we shouldn’t have too bigger expectations to early.
Hope that helps.
KickTruly Leo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Just watched Dane Swan's highlights.
...10 years of super magnificent memories
We need someone just like him. Maybe persist with Reef?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Guy on Bigfooty who they say Know Reef has said he has told other Teams he only wants to play for Collingwood.

IF he goes to another team he will just ask to be Traded to Collingwood

Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Dave, I don’t think the “Buckley strategy” of wanting to be released to his club of choice works these days because it is against draft protocols and AFL guidelines for an uncompromised draft. It could be deemed draft tampering at worst. So everyone has to be very careful these days.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Draft picks are just numbers and it's been proven time and time again that they don't mean that much. If we want Reef, we should get Reef. And don't let any Barriers get in the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: