Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2 goals, 6 behinds in two weeks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:00 am
Post subject: 2 goals, 6 behinds in two weeksReply with quote

Going into the game against Freo we were one of the flag fancies. Now, 2 games later and it seems we're miles off.

The loss of Bri had already called some concerns about the teams chances for success in 2022, but the past 2 games have shown that this team has serious changes to make if they're going to challenge for the cup.

From here, we go into a game against WCE, a team we really should beat comfortably. I'm talking a 6 goal win. After this we play the Kangers. That wont be easy. Then the Dogs. If the Eagles beat us, the season is over. Since they havent won a game, it will be a good time to gain some confidence back and get back onto the winners list.

What needs to change?

*Bombing it long.
I swear in the last 2 games, each player has just kicked it as fas as possible. And almost every time to the advantage of the opposition. This needs to stop. A short game is required to win. Which means players need to find space and present a short target. Kicking as far as you can should always be the last option and only when in absolute doubt. More short direct passing up field.

*Shots for goal.
There's no shame in passing it off if you cant kick 50. You dont need to have a shot every single time you're near the arch. Find a teammate in a better position.

*Drop of the ball. (The Drop punt)
This is a skill. It's not easy to learn too if your not a natural. Who is teaching the drop of the ball onto the foot? There's too many wobbly kicks floating around.

*Take the fkn game on.
If there's a ball to be won, put everything into getting it. Every last bit of energy, every last bit of sweat, everything. Do whatever it takes to get that fkn ball. The earlier you score in AFLW the more likely the win. Winning possession early sets the tone and opens up scoring chances. Dont hold back. Go for it from the opening bounce. Risk it all to get the loose ball. Hire Dennis Rodman if we have to.

Also the next time someone like Davidson gets in your face and celebrates like she's just won Wimbledon in a 5 sets slug fest, get up in it.

*The basics.
Shepherding for your teammate (show us your wingspan) and not being afraid to bump. Both not happening. These are basic skills.

*Forward line pressure.
This one is a big problem. Force the turnover. No one is putting up a fight when the opposition has the ball in our F50. Chase, chase, chase.

*Making them accountable for opposition ball winners.
Target the ballwinners, man them up, tag them, pressure them. Get in their mind. Way too many times I'm seeing opposition players just waltzing around on their own. Who is stopping them? Playing list must be challenged. Who wants the task? Who wants to stand up?

*Game plan and set plays.
Who is the FF? What is Sabrina doing? Where is Chloe playing? Why is the ruck set up different every time? Who is roving? I want to see the players stay in position and do their job in the set position. If you're kicking long, who is presenting up forward? Who is getting opponents under the flight of the ball? And who is sneaking out the back?

The umpiring has also been dreadful across the whole competition in my view. It is extremely inconsistent and some ridiculous calls are being made. Are the umpires getting paid enough, or are they also working 2 jobs? They need to be more focused and more professional. They need to get this right. I know it's not an easy job, but far out.

The commentators also need to stop over selling the excitement. The game against the Lions was awful. No need to get all excited when the ball is dribbling through for a point. And the boundary riders need to stop over selling their comments too, I swear the one last week ran out of breath about 6 times. If it feels forced, you wont attract new viewers.

2 goals 6 in two games?? We should be kicking at least 6 goals 2 per game. There's still time to get this right. I think top 2 is out of the question, but finals should be in our plans this year. Our best is good enough to beat most sides. We were just badly coached last week. When going into the wind, keep the ball low. They were trying to kick high and far, that will never work. When going with the wind, kick the ball direct and if you kick it over the pack where were the crumbers? Let's turn this around and get the confidence back.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

good informative report.

well kick goals is the key
maurs64 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:17 pm

What doesn't help is having Molloy standing idle in the goal square. The ball never gets near her. It's almost always turned back at centre half forward.
I'd be putting Molloy in the middle full time. And if Fredericks needs to play, she should be standing in the goal square surrounded by smalls for when she spills marks! Alexander can hold down CHF. She couldn't be any worse than Fredericks! That's for starters. I still think we lack the speed of the better teams and will struggle to beat them. But maybe the better teams are just fitter?
Back bucks 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:33 pm

And Chloe got fined $400 today for striking on the weekend. Sounded like an accidental contact going on the info on the Collingwood website. Does anyone know what she was alleged to have done exactly ?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:32 pm

maurs64 wrote:
What doesn't help is having Molloy standing idle in the goal square. The ball never gets near her. It's almost always turned back at centre half forward.
I'd be putting Molloy in the middle full time. And if Fredericks needs to play, she should be standing in the goal square surrounded by smalls for when she spills marks! Alexander can hold down CHF. She couldn't be any worse than Fredericks! That's for starters. I still think we lack the speed of the better teams and will struggle to beat them. But maybe the better teams are just fitter?

Agree about Sabrina. I'd like to see her play one out at FF. Alexander is one of our better players, I like seeing her at CHF. Molloy is, I believe, in the top 5 or 6 players in the comp. I noticed she's been paying more in the middle today.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:43 pm

So far today, 6 goals, 3 behinds. That's much better. But I was always confident about winning today. We still need to be smarter against the top sides. In saying that, today is still a good win. Flying to WA in the fly in, fly out scenario and after 2 consecutive poor games, it's still a good win. Hopefully it instills more confidence in the squad.

North next up (in Tassie) will be a big challenge. Win that and it sets up a nice home game opportunity against the Dogs before the hardest game in the fixture; Crows in SA. After that it's Suns at home to end the season.

After the win today, I am confident that we can still beat the Dogs and Suns. The game against North will be big, but we will need to fix some of the kicking problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: