Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL Round 2

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearances: Macrae 9, Tardrew and Brown 7, Hustwaite 6, Poulter 5.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:47 pm

Good start to the VFL season. 2-0.

Callum Brown was excellent again.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:48 pm

Tackles: Brown 10, Begg 9, Tardrew 6.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:49 pm

Marks: Tardrew 11, Johnson 9, Cox 5. Johnson was the aerial standout for Collingwood.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:57 pm

Thanks to all for the game time commentary.
Any thoughts on the AFL live streaming service ??
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:04 pm

Thoughts on the senior-listed players at full-time (for people who want to see how I have changed my tune, my half-time comments are on page 3):

Callum Brown played another AFL-standard game.

Wilson showed superior ball-handling skills but his kicking let him down at times. In the last quarter, he kicked a good goal and gave another off. Not as good as last week - but still positive signs.

Bianco was very disappointing. He's either way too slow, doesn't care or hasn't recovered from being dropped. Whichever the reason, he'll be playing second-fiddle to Tardrew again next week. He should be really worried that he can't get a run in the centre square - because, in the longer term he's nothing if not a midfielder.

Poulter had a much better second half but he was still not, for the most part, intense enough at the contest to get a senior game.

As I said at halftime, McMahon is obviously being played down back to train up his defensive side. He is a forward.

Murley impressed with his pace, arriving with speed at the contest a few times. Needs to do more but encouraging signs.

Chugg remained solid. Would need to do much more to attract the selectors' attention.

At half-time, I said that Johnson looks like he could suddenly start dominating at any moment - but mostly doesn't. He shifted into a higher gear in the second half. He still looks raw, at times - but he could be a genuine star, up forward. Occasionally, he looks like Carman (this is the highest praise I can give any player).

Draper did little. He's a long way off a senior game.

Cox - see halftime comment. If it were up to me, I'd delist him mid-year and draft an experienced actual ruckman, if they really want another on their list.

Kelly was better this week. You still wouldn't pick him unless you had no-one else (or you had finally had enough of Madgen, of course).

Begg is skilful and tackles hard. Didn't do enough over the day to turn heads (perhaps because the 'pies wanted to give Cox time in the ruck - despite that almost costing us the game) but looks promising.

Tyler Brown and Trey Ruscoe didn't play.
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Siren. Collingwood wins easily.

15.10.100 to 11.12.78.

Goals: Johnson 4, Cox 3, Booth and Fowler 2, Tardrew, Murley, Wellings, Wilson 1.

Disposals: Tardrew 26, Brown 26, Macrae 23, Poulter 19, Johnson, Hustwaite and Murley 16.

Johnson 4 goals! Alright!

Poulter obviously lifted his game in the second half. Bit odd. Last week he started strongly and then dropped off. Like to see some four quarter efforts from him.

Brown good again. And Begg's nine tackles is a great effort for a ruckman.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:10 pm

^ Johnson kicked 4.3. He got better as the game went. Some of his marking was delightful. He needs more VFL time, I think, to narrow the gap between his bad and his good.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:20 pm

Geelong got back in the game in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter. In my respectful opinion, the entire reason for that was that Cox's ruckwork in that period was execrable.

Did you watch the game or are you just having a completely ill-informed crack?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:07 pm

No, we can't. It was said tongue-in-cheek. But, as you can see, some posters don't do subtle. Laughing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:21 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Johnson kicked 4.3. He got better as the game went. Some of his marking was delightful. He needs more VFL time, I think, to narrow the gap between his bad and his good.

I didn't see the game, and you might be right about Johnson not being quite ready. However, there are some players who actually play better at senior level, where there is better movement of the ball. I remember my old mate Liam Jurrah played better AFL than VFL footy. As we are crying out for a marking forward, I'd love to see 'Magic' Johnson come into the side this week.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:50 pm

I really enjoy your updates but I have just re- watched the entire stream and my view yesterday (until 3/4 time) was that Cox tap outs probably provided 5 or 6 goals.

I was disappointed that Coxy dropped three marks that he should have swallowed but my view of the game albeit on the "stream" was vastly different to yours.

When the Cats kicked 4 goals our midfield were trying to negate the cat on ballers. The change happened when the callers recognised Macrae as Bianco and questioned why he has not manned up on Narkle (who had just goaled). Cox clear tap down his throat and Mcrae kicked it to centre half forward the whole game changed I cannot recall if we goaled from that forward entry but it was quick and direct.

I think Wilson might be a "Medium Forward" but did not get enough of it. He is also now behind Johnson who can play football with very nice hands who after watching the seniors at the MCG might get a call up this week against the WEagles even as the sub.

I cannot have that Callum has been BOG in the part two weeks he has had a bit of it but whilst he might provide some good defensive work he is not going to win us a game at any level. Especially if he cannot convert from 20 metres out in a set shot.

Tardrew has been exceptional and been BOG for defensive and offensive in both games in my view but again I have watched both games on the box not live.

Kelly was better this week but anything would have been an improvement on week 1.

Macrae looked so much better in the second half by sending the ball our way instead of feeding sideways and backwards (one instant detailed earlier).

I thought Begg's ruck work struggled and dare I say the "elephant in the room" but we do not need another ruckman that does not mark, his attack on the ball when the "ball up" was neutralised was great with tackles handballs and scrappy kicks but ruckman win taps to advantage and take marks. Begg does need to play 1st ruck in the VFL all year as bigmen take plenty of time but he does have great endeavour but I would like him to rest at Fullforward rather than on the bench as we are all aware Ruckman need to kick goals.

Bianco worries me but with him McMahon, Murley, Draper Harrison (even though he didn't play) give them all another 10 games, hey maybe Kelly after 10 games at full back will improve. That is the main aim of the reserves.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks for the report guys.
Looks like a lot of realistic comments there.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:02 pm

collingwood belted the handbaggers cats easy win for the pies.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 pm

I clean missed the game, for some reason I thought it was being played at 5pm, not 2:05pm.

Anyway, all the stats details and videos here. https://www.afl.com.au/matches/4169#summary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: