Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ambulance crisis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a "cheer leader". I do not vote for the ALP. Try to grow up and understand what the big people are saying.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I am not a "cheer leader". I do not vote for the ALP. Try to grow up and understand what the big people are saying.

When dealing with stupid people or with delusional people just smile and agree.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:15 pm

All states have had their hospital systems impacted by Covid, bed blockage and Ambulance issues. Victoria's failure is bigger.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/triple-zero-crisis-government-failed-to-address-esta-funding-problems-20220905-p5bfjl.html

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
All states have had their hospital systems impacted by Covid, bed blockage and Ambulance issues. Victoria's failure is bigger.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/triple-zero-crisis-government-failed-to-address-esta-funding-problems-20220905-p5bfjl.html

Yes but those 2 stupid and delusional posters above you will never accept this Wink

Plus this affects more than hospitals and ambulances, it’s all of Victoria’s emergency services. imagine if this climate change stuff came true and we actually had a bad fire season along with the pandemic. ESTA wouldn’t be able to cope and we’d be truely $%$ed.

So even claims of you can’t predict a pandemic, yeah but we can expect excess surge on our emergency services in a bad summer which occur quite frequently and the government has failed to prepare them despite multiple warnings.

Quote:
In comparison, the NSW triple-zero service run by NSW Ambulance was able to “recruit aggressively” in the first months of the COVID pandemic, allowing it to weather the Omicron wave without a major collapse of call performance, according to the inspector-general’s report.

Luckily at least one state government knows how to run things.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Not sure if it’s greater or was greater in Victoria. The coroner will determine cause of death for the 30 in question and assist in recommendations. People died in each state and each state was affected as we both noted by bed blockages (NDIS and Aged) federally related.

We do know that Victoria and NSW are the most populated states so you’d logically expect them to carry the biggest burden when systems are stretched, when people are ill and when compounded by not just the pandemic but by staff shortages.

There is a severe staffing crisis across Australia currently in health including mental health. There’s no easy fix to this. I’ve already been SMS’d to work in Triage, ED and with the Police today ( I get this daily) There are job vacancies across the board in each State in Australia.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:06 pm

Staff shortages are one thing, and largely out of any governments control. Where the Andrews government, and others before it, have been criminally negligent is in investment in ICT. Remember, I worked in Snr Mgmt (And for short periods on the Executive) of a major Metro public health service, so while you have the view from the shop floor, I had the holistic view from above as well as being in a position to hear directly from those on the shop floor.

I got to see first hand how the Department put onerous and often conflicting KPIs on health services, putting them under serious pressure to meet them but gave no assistance or resources to support them.

When I first joined health in 2008 after 20+ years at Telstra, my first reaction was WTF, I've gone to a 3rd world country. By working closely with a few of the ICT people, usually against the wishes of the head of ICT ( who in my opinion was an idiot) we managed to cobble together some things and introduce some new systems to dramatically improve things for both HR and ICT, but clinical areas were relying on multiple different Access Databases written in obsolete unsupported software by people who no longer worked there.

It was only shortly before I left in 2017 that the government started to do something about cyber security. I was on the steering committee at my service and the initial audit was frightening.

They've known for years the ESTA software needed replacing and did nothing until the fecal matter hit the spinning air circulation device then suddenly agree to implement all the recommendations. When Covid first hit, our contact tracing capability was something from the early 80s. Pen and paper. There's no foresight, direction or investment.

Yeah you need Doctors, Nurses and Allied Health staff on the shop floor and staff shortages hurts, but making them use crap, antiquated, time consuming systems and processes just exacerbates the problem.

/ Rant.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:37 pm

I’ve been a senior nurse advisor before, a director of nursing and regional manager for CSV & the Department of Health. I know the top down view quite well and have current links to the bureaucracy.

I made a conscious decision to get out and go back to clinical work. I’m familiar with how bureaucracies work and how the state government works.

Jesus, Kennett cut my budget by 12% in one hit when I was managing an institution.

Both the Libs and the ALP were using the same economic rationalist players who had the view of doing more with less when dealing with people. The height challenged Secretary of the Dep’t when he first took over said “ I’m glad I’m an economist and not a social worker” when he first started in 1990. He’s dead now John Patterson, Scumbag of the highest order. The language of re-engineering as noted earlier doing more with less was the currency at the time. After successive cuts to my budget (which started under Kirner) I chose to teach then take up Mental Health.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:35 am

watt price tully wrote:

Both the Libs and the ALP were using the same economic rationalist players who had the view of doing more with less when dealing with people.

So we can agree both parties are to blame, or do we want to argue about percentages?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:22 pm

^

Look at which party has been in power for the most of the past 20 years and there's your percentage sorted.

Also, to paraphrase what I posted previously before the discussion was crudely interrupted and relevant posts deleted, the biggest failure of the Andrews government in public health has been in ICT. ESTA is just one example.

Having Drs, Nurses and Allied Health staff on the shop floor is critical but they need to be supported by good ICT which in my time there was not the case.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Look at which party has been in power for the most of the past 20 years and there's your percentage sorted.

Labor = 19/23 (82.6%)
Coalition = 4/23 (17.4%)

Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:40 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Where's Andrews hiding?

Quote:
Thirty-three Victorians died from emergencies that were linked to triple-zero delays or lengthy ambulance waits, a report into the state’s emergency call system has found.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/33-deaths-now-linked-to-victoria-s-triple-zero-ambulance-crisis-20220903-p5bf3i.html

The system was swamped because of COVID, this is Australia wide. Refer to my earlier posts re:

Inability of Ambulances to offload / being ramped in hospitals across Australia.

NDIS
Aged beds both federal areas

They remain cause of bed blockages.

Then add to this those that friggin use ambulances for transport: there were those who rang said they had chest pain (think heart attack) but just wanted to get COVID tested.

People with anxiety can experience chest pain and have to be treated as though they’ve had a heart attack so get prioritised, GP surgeries no longer bulk billing so where do people go?

I used to deal with homeless people saying they had an OD or falsely say they were going to suicide; how do they get to see a Dr?

Add to the mix staff who got COVID or were contacts. I was getting SMS’d and emailed daily to help out in areas where there were just not enough staff. This then compounds the way people can be moved through ED’s.

This is a nationwide issue.

(I still get SMS’d twice daily for overtime in ED, where I work now (not ED) and with the Police.

Most reasonable people know there’s been an imperfect storm here. I don’t think that the twice elected Premier of Victoria has too much to answer for here.

Talk to me about the environment then I’m with you. Has done Bugger all.

problem is there are not enough of them, reasonable people i meAN. im sick of people whinging about non existent regulations!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: