Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#11 Daniel McStay

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is, in the absence of our ability to recruit a genuine CHF, we are simply after a physical presence to bring the ball to ground, so that Hill, Ginni and Elliott can do their thing. Hope it works out that way.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:34 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
My guess is, in the absence of our ability to recruit a genuine CHF, we are simply after a physical presence to bring the ball to ground, so that Hill, Ginni and Elliott can do their thing. Hope it works out that way.

The trouble with this is that if these players are any good, their style of play makes it hard for their body to hold up for multiple years. Remember how good Jarrod Molloy was his first year for us? He was done after that. Aaron Hamill is another example of this type of player. And if he's not that good, he's not really offering much. I'm not sure McStay is this kind of player, and if he is, he's on the low end of the spectrum

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:54 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I thought Cox played that role. I would prefer if McStay played the standard CHF role and actually took marks and kicked a few goals. We need to hit the scoreboard more next season.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:55 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
Remember how good Jarrod Molloy was his first year for us? He was done after that.

Harsh; I'd argue his 2002 year was solid, save for the late injury which ruined his September.
And his 2003 season was going gangbusters into July and August, until another random foot injury stopped him in his tracks and trainwrecked our season in the process.
Then he shattered us all by suddenly retiring months later.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:58 pm

Don't think McStay isn't any good just cause he's not Lynch or Cameron. We would all have preferred Lynch or Cameron to McStay, but there isn't a great FF or CHF around at the moment, so McStay is the best option. He will fill a role, he'll be as good as Cox in the forward line if not better, and he's versatile.

People say he's no better than Mihocek - I say if we had two Mihocek's in the team we would've won 2 premierships in 5 years. He doesn't have to be great, just good enough.

The reality is if he makes us 7 points better we win the flag. That'll do me.

- Ben
rosspies 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:10 am

The positive thing is if DeGoey chooses to leave, the Club could not consider getting McStay and loosing our compensations pick for JDG.
Magpie Russ Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 am

rosspies wrote:
The positive thing is if DeGoey chooses to leave, the Club could not consider getting McStay and loosing our compensations pick for JDG.

The club would strike a nominal trade with Brisbane for McStay so they retain an undiluted compensation pick. It has been done before.
Alternatively we match the offer and trade with the club that wants him. E.g. Geelong and GWS for Cameron. It is contingent on the other club and the player being committed to each other. That might be problematic here.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:00 pm

I'm not sure that we can now make a nominal trade for McStay. He's an unrestricted free agent who has informed Brisbane he is exercising his free agency rights. I don't think they have any claim to him that can allow a trade any longer as a result.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:16 pm

I'm sitting on the fence for this one. It's obvious we need more tall kpps but not sure McStay is the right guy. Watched a small sample of him this year and it was a bit mixed. Did some nice things and some spuddy. Wait and see for now
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:19 am

McStay season 2022. A brief snapshot.
vs Geelong Round 4 14 disposals, 11 marks, 3.1 goals
vs Sydney Round 7 16 disposals, 6 marks, 3 goals
vs Carlton Round 21 16 disposals, 6 marks, 4 goals

When your side has just lost two finals by a combined 7pts against two of those teams and scraped in to the top 4 with a 1pt victory against the other you realise how close we came to winning it all or potentially departing in week 1.
McStay is no star we all know that but had he been running around for us this season his presence may well have added just enough to see us claim our 16th flag.
For mine that alone is a good enough reason to give him an opportunity and really what have we got to lose?

Another heartbreaking 1pt preliminary final loss?

Stuff that.

I'd rather aim for the stars and miss than settle for the moon.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:11 am

It's taken a while, but you've convinced me swoop.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:20 am

swoop42 wrote:
^

Totally agree and the finals highlighted more than just our forward line woes. It also exposed our lack of depth. We got one goal between Johnson and Miochek in our last final because both we’re forced to play banged up. We simply didn’t have any match hardened AFL experienced big body players to pick from. Miochek in particular, played on continuously for the last few weeks when a bit of depth on our list may have bought him a couple weeks off to return to his best.
When both Browns occupy the injury sub position as often as they did in 2022 and are then delisted at the end of that year, you know you have very little depth you can call on. Throw in the Roughead retirement and Dean (ability still unknown) injury that left us short down back and we did amazingly well to punch above our weight at both ends of the ground.
At least we will now have four “new “KPP additions to bolster those areas in 2023. McStay, Frampton, Krueger and Dean,
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:37 am

If I was an opposition recruiter and I had a choice of either:
Darcy Cameron or Daniel McStay
I'd pick Darcy, and to be frank he's a good player and can be very good but not a great player.
That's my answer on McStay.
They're not the same type of player but if you're making any comparison then it's a case in point.
But then again I'm not an opposition recruiter. Laughing

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:42 pm

Just needs to be a little more consistent. Those 3 games he’s kicked 10 of he’s 25 goals.
Then 15 out 18 games.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:44 pm

^^^
Fair call. Bit like his finals series too. At least some of his better games were against decent teams. I also find it hard to believe you can be at the peak of your powers when you and all your teammates know you won’t be at the club next year. I’m not sure what to expect from him next year but I don’t see how he doesn’t make us better. What we don’t know right now, is to what extent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 11 of 31   

Jump to: