Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale #16,#2,#27 Captain Murray Weideman (1936-2021)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Vale to the great Weed, a Club icon. He led us to victory in the greatest GF upset in history even to this day, the 1958 Premiership, which stopped Melbourne equalling our 4 in a row flags. Dees had beaten us 12 times in a row, smashed us in the second semi, were 100-1 odds on to win it, they even had their cake made prior to the GF, with "4 in a row" written on it. Murray had other ideas, and played a great game, niggled Dees players, and his mate Hooker Harrison took care of Barassi, who was then as good as Dusty is today. matchwinner, Barassi hardly got a kick. Collingwoods greatest achievement, in my opinion, i was far too young to be there, but my brother was, and Dad, and they were rapt. Farewell the WEED, thanks for the memories. R I P.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Boot 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:46 am

RIP "The Weed"
I'm too young to have seen Murray Weideman play but his life in football is the stuff of legends. From a first year player in a Premiership team in "53 to being the captain, and leading the way to help achieve the greatest Grand Final upset in VFL/AFL history in '58.
I do remember his return to the club as coach in 1975 which was huge news at the time like the return of the messiah but unfortunately Murray's professionalism was not at the required level and the resultant wooden spoon in 1976 was a hard time for all Collingwood supporters to bear.
It still annoys me that Murray's grandson is a Melbourne player, but perhaps its for the best as the pressure of having the Weideman name at Collingwood would be hard to carry for any young man. I saw Murray's son Mark play as a young key forward at Collingwood under Tommy Hafey and he too was a good looking rooster with promise but struggled to rise to the levels that his father achieved.
Condolences to the Weideman family and thanks to Murray for being the champion at Collingwood that he was.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 am

Farewell to a legend. My old man had a beer with him once, but before my time.
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:32 pm

Another great story about THE WEED and his great mate HOOKER .

If they played today like they did in the 1958 Grand Final the tribunal would have rubbed then out for 5 seasons at least !

it was great to see them both do their work in that great Grand Final win .

Hard for me to believe The Weed has left us .

RIP

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:53 pm

I grew up as a kid hearing all about the exploits of 'The Weed' from my mum. Apparently just before the team ran on to the MCG in the '58 Grannie, he gathered the team together and told all the players to ignore any fighting or stuff like that and just go after the ball. He then said, leave the rough stuff to 'Hooker' and me.

It was a different world back then, but in my lifetime I reckon we've had three leaders whose troops would follow them into battle unquestioningly - Murray Weideman, Des Tuddenham and (only fate stopped him being captain) Darren Milane.
sem Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:39 pm

hay RUDE BOY

Imagine having the WEED and TUDDY and MILLANE and MAGRO in the same team include HOOKER as well .

I met The WEED and Tuddy and Millane all easy to talk to .
Unfortunately did not meet Hooker .

Another story .

Many years ago i was MCG watching a Collingwood v Melbourne game .
Sitting not far from me was Barrassi .
I went over to him shook his hand and i told him he was a great footballer .
No airs or graces just another good guy .
So i then preceded to tell him that i saw HOOKER when i was going to my seat ..
He immediately stood up with his fists clenched and asked me where he is sitting .
He knew i was telling a little white lie and we had a good laugh .

i have fantastic memories of my support of the COLLINGWOOD FOOTY TEAM for about 65 years

Gabbo was great as well and when he was playing my mate used to comb his hair the same way as Gabbo

MagpieWhisperer35 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 pm

K wrote:
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/863974/vale-murray-weideman

Includes video highlights of 1958 GF.

Thank you that was awesome. loved how the umpires just moved the game on without interfering and the players went in hard good stuff.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:10 pm

He was my fathers favourite player when he was a boy. I have some fantastic stuff from the 60's, a photo with him and my dad and an autograph too.

I was lucky enough to meet him in 2011 and he was a gentleman. He also stopped to have a photo with me. He said he gets that a lot, when I told him he was my Dads fave.

He was absent at the 1958 reunion I attended in 2018.

One of the greatest figures in the clubs history.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Murray Weideman may not of been our most brilliant centre half forward (Carman in 1976 was pretty brilliant, so was Travis Cloke early in his career) but The Weed was certainly the most intimidating. Like Dermott Brereton, Wayne Carey and Jonathan Brown, Weideman often had his opponent beaten before before the ball was bounced. We certainly would not have won the 1958 Premiership without him.

Vale Murray Weideman, one of the Magpies all time greats. (And I still think his grandson should be playing for the Pies!)

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:02 pm

https://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/murray-weideman/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: