Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Awakenings

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:54 am
Post subject: AwakeningsReply with quote

Imagine what it would feel like to have a very realistic dream in which you won a large amount of money in Tattslotto. In your dream you'd begin planning how you were going to spend that money. Then you awaken and feel the intense disappointment of realising that the windfall was just a dream.

I feel like that now. Did we really win the premiership last year? How could a team which won three finals including a Grand Final be playing so badly now? Was it all a dream from which I will shortly awaken?

Well no, it wasn't a dream. I have the winning Grand Final on tape to prove it. So what is going on? The heroes of last September have barely fired a shot in the first three games. JDG is being tagged out of matches. Bobby Hill who was electric last September dropped a chest mark fifteen metres out from goal against the Saints. Sidey is looking slow and almost irrelevant. Darcy Moore is playing the worst football of his career. IQ is not the player we know. Howe has been poor. Crisp keeps getting caught. Heck, even Nick Daicos is making unforced errors.

Some have said we've been worked out. Some have said other teams have worked out how to beat us. Whatever the reason for our dismal form, the confidence isn't there, neither is the pressure we used to exert. In fact, our team is crumbling from the pressure of other teams Craig McRae and his coaches got enormous credit for the success of the last two years which was well deserved. They need to find a way to rejuvenate and reinvigorate the side and if necessary, to tweak the gameplan. Otherwise the last two years will seem like a fleeting dream.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

"Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical." - Yogi Berra
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:57 am

There’s a lot of layers to where we currently find ourselves but I think it should first start with understanding the difficulty of the achievement itself.
Premierships are bloody hard to win. In our case, it all came together after a two year journey that was laced with a lot of quality football and a few slices of luck. We also won that flag with the oldest team in AFL history, so should we really believe we would be better again 12 months on. I find it much more “ therapeutic “ to simply remain thankful for the euphoria that came with the completion of that journey, rather than bemoan the reality that back to back flags ain’t going to happen.
The Dogs, Demons and Cats all fell away dramatically after their last premierships, so what we’re witnessing is more the norm than any anomaly. The Tigers obviously bucked that trend and it’s an absolute credit to them as to how they could maintain that fierce competitive edge for so long. History says not many do maintain the rage.
We now play in an “ equalised “ competition that is designed to reward not only the cellar dwellers but also the northern states with their academy selection advantages ( or more specifically the concessions which have been taken away from the Vic clubs ) Our reward for winning the flag was pick 25 in the N D. How do you keep ahead of the pack when your prospects for introducing elite talent have been whittled away to close to zero. Add in a tougher draw for those that finish in the top six and the reality of continuing to remain ahead of the pack has just become exponentially more difficult.
If supporters aren’t satisfied with the 2023 flag being enough, that’s their prerogative but personally, I will forever remain thankful that our perennial grand final misfortune didn’t once again raise its ugly head in 2023.

“ Don’t hate the player, hate the game “
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 am

Well put Pies 2016
piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm

Yes - the scourge of sports fans everywhere is expectation. That’s why 2018 and 2022 were such great years to follow the team. This year is exactly the opposite. We won the whole damn thing last year and we all deep down think we should be contending again. Maybe we will - but the way we’ve started doesn’t suggest so at this stage. And so we all begin the painful process of adjusting expectations downwards…

The only other thing I like to think about is that we can’t play much worse. Challenge for the coaches is to get the best out of what/who we have and how we play. If that’s still not good enough (and perhaps this year won’t be) then so be it.

If we truly have been figured out, then at least we put a cup in the cupboard while we had the advantage. Maybe #17 won’t be this year, but the reality check has arrived for all of us (coaches, players, management, media and the fans).

I’m personally looking to see which of our players can sort it out and which simply no longer can. Fascinating (once you rebase your expectations).

orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm

Both of you Harry and pies make valid points..
The media has come for us and thy are loving it..

What I don't understand is these are the same players that were slick and sure with the footy in their hands and full of dare...So we know that thats what they are capable of.
Surely you don't lose those skills overnight!!!

Firstly they were lauding Pendles and the pies were considering extending his contract..and now he is too old and slow.

Nick Daicos was the medias golden boy and now he is soft.
Moore is making incredibly stupid skill errors. So much for the smiling captain...

This is the media at work and I had forgotten how fickle they could be.
Stuff them.
They have always used Collingwood in every way possible. Just like the AFL..

Our boys need to stick together and shut them up...
I didn't expect back to back at all... just to watch them compete and play the footy we saw last year.
So in that sense ..its been really sad and disappointing.

As a long standing pies fan, my pessimism
is resurfacing..
Let's go boys. You are better than this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: