Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We have qualified and participated in 11 Preliminary Finals since 2002. An exceptional record and one that has provided all Pies fans with unbelievable journey of joy in this time.
That aside, our greatest weakness and challenge ahead is our inability to headhunt and procure bonafide MATCH-WINNERS from other clubs since the recruitment of Nathan Buckley in 1994. A sobering statistic if there ever was one.

Consider rival clubs who have secured these high-end talents to great effect since the Bux recruitment.
* Geelong: P. Dangerfield and J Cameron
* Carlton: C Judd,
* Swans: B Hall, L Franklin, T Lockett
* Melbourne: S May and J Lever (lesser degree)
* Richmond: T Lynch
* West Coast: J Kennedy
* Hawks: Brian Lake, J Gunston
* Port: B Pickett, G Wanganeen
* Brisbane: A Lynch
* North: S Grant

We can do better!

Last edited by inxs88 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:21 am

inxs88 wrote:
We have qualified and participated in 11 Preliminary Finals since 2022.

I think your math might be a bit out mate…probably just a typo…but had me wondering for a few seconds what had I missed and if I was watching the wrong games Laughing

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Newelly wrote:
Is Bailey Smith on Geelong's radar?

Geelong and Hawthorn. Smith is currently in a unique position at the Bulldogs, in that his ultimate value at the dogs will likely be determined by the retention ( or not ) of both Ugle - Hagen and English.

As per Pies2016 comments re Bulldogs contract dominoes, maybe the word filtering through to the journos is priority has been given to Nuaghton, English and Ugle-Hagan.

“I think Collingwood has emerged as the clear frontrunner to secure Bailey Smith’s services next year,” Landsberger told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Wednesday night.
Source:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-trade-news-2024-collingwood-frontrunners-for-western-bulldogs-star-bailey-smith-as-magpies-put-photo-ban-on-top-trade-target/news-story/2bdab46059f874f50de816bf47864fcc

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 am

Said by Zed wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

I think your math might be a bit out mate…probably just a typo…but had me wondering for a few seconds what had I missed and if I was watching the wrong games Laughing

I’m not sure of the Brisbane Lions / Wanganeen connection either but two players stand out in INXS list above. Judd and Kennedy and I often ask Blues supporters whether think they might have been better served if they never pursued the Judd trade and kept Kennedy and pick #3 instead.
Judd had no success at Carlton of course and Kennedy went on to play good footy for a number of years longer than Judd and also a premiership with the Eagles.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 pm

The question is how do we get Bailey Smith? Is he a free agent? Is a matter of cash or do we have to trade players/picks? Club has come out and said they done want to be trading away picks anymore have they?
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm

from the article...
"He’s done his knee, and he’s been inconsistent since that (2021) finals series,” the Herald Sun’s Jay Clark pointed out. Landsberger suggested a future first and second could be enough to land Smith."

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 pm

piffdog wrote:
The question is how do we get Bailey Smith? Is he a free agent? Is a matter of cash or do we have to trade players/picks? Club has come out and said they done want to be trading away picks anymore have they?

It would need to be a trade and a decent one at that. There will be only three options available. We either include our future first rounder ( 2025 ) as the major part of any trade OR both Hawthorns 2024 second and third round picks ( from the Ginnivan trade ) and a little more again. The club can say whatever they want about being active while still keeping their early picks but the reality is that can’t happen with any trades involving QUALITY players who aren’t free agents ( unless we were to trade out a decent player or two ) The third option is that we may choose to trade out a best 22 player and then in turn, use that trade capital as the major component of any Smith trade.
There’s a lot to play out here because both Smith and Geelong are sponsored by Cotton On. There’s already a connection of sorts and Geelong may yet work with Cotton On to ensure that Smiths exposure and financial benefits via C O are significantly increased if he were to be a Geelong player.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 pm

^we have zero trade currency in 2024 from players coming out of contract. Our 2024 organic draft points with pick no's 22*, 40, 44 = total 1636
(pick #22 received from Hawthorn in 2023 - swapped with pick #26)

I remain hopeful that the AFL grant might yet set a precedent and grant us a draft concession off the retirement of Murphy, given it was an AFL panel ruling.

AFL clubs are subject to certain rules regarding the trading of draft picks. One key rule is that clubs must make at least **two first-round selections in each four-year period.
This means they cannot trade away all their first-round picks within that timeframe. Additionally, when it comes to draft picks, clubs can only trade picks from **that year and the next year.

So to my point. If we're going to get a seat at the negotiating table in 2024 for the likes of a Bailey Smith, given we've traded our organic 2024 draft points via our 1st rounder to Freo. we'd need to draw from 2025 where our organic draft points remain uncompromised. Or trade a player.
Of our 2025 out of contact list, the only players we have that presents tangible 1st round trade currency are Hill and Maynard.
It will be natural for each to be looking for longer term deals. This is where I think it'll get interesting with Maynard. If we want a future first from a player swap only, he's the one Clubs will be asking the question over.
2nd round trade currency might be then derived from Frampton, Jiath, Johnson, Harrison, Macrae, Parker.

Ash Johnson Non-Free Agent
Billy Frampton Non-Free Agent
Bobby Hill Non-Free Age
Brayden Maynard Unrestricted Free Agent
Brody Mihocek Restricted Free Agent
Finlay Macrae Non-Free Agent
Harvey Harrison Non-Free Agent
Jamie Elliott Unrestricted Free Agent
Mason Cox Unrestricted Free Agent
Tew Jiath Non-Free Agent
Tom Mitchell Non-Free Agent
Wil Parker Non-Free Agent

Of our 2026 out of contact list, we're left with what are currently 2nd rounders, although hoping Ed Allan really starts to push into senior selection to become a top tier prospect.

Darcy Cameron Non-Free Agent
Edward Allan Non-Free Agent
Harry Demattia Non-Free Agent
Jack Crisp Unrestricted Free Agent
Jakob Ryan Non-Free Agent
John Noble Restricted Free Agent

Before the b&w toys get thrown from the cot on the prospect of trading Maynard, all of those already howling for a KPF, KPD, what are you going to going to trade with in order to secure one? As it stands, we can cover a player like Maynard, that's not where our deficit lies.
Otherwise, it's the equivalent of taking Australian Dollars into the USA on holidays and expecting like for like. You either have to go without or dip into future savings.
We keep banging on about the veteran quandary, we'll there's 7 players in the departure lounge we need to replace in two years. We'll have the $$$, just missing the organic draft capital.
Replacing the caliber of those veteran players will require emotion to be put aside in order to bring in the 4 players in the 75-125 game mark and 2-3 free-agent guns over the next 2 years, all before the Devils raid the draft in 2027.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 am; edited 2 times in total
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
A considered reply Dyso.
I'm amazed we've been able to compete as well as we have, let alone winning #16 given that draft / trade pedigree.
I view Hine has done a remarkable job with the hand he's been dealt.
The draft is chook lotto at the best of times.

That's two of us amazed Coach!
Two flags under his watch from four attempts suggests drafters/recruiters are doing/have done something right.
It's the catastrophic draft periods that stopped more silverware manifesting.
The drafting of two identified cripples ahead of Patrick Cripps in 2013, the most damning to the 2018 flag outcome.

LaurieHolden wrote:
Trusting Wrighty has done the work over the past 2 years to have some ready names to fill some list holes before he clears out his desk on return from his sabbatical.
Like Murphy, I think we know Wrighty is unlikely to request a carpark at the 'whatever we're calling it now' Centre in 2025.
I reckon he'll spend more time on the Spirt of Tasmania than Tram 70 to our current headquarters.

I'm holding out hope that we might snaffle Holmes over from Geebung for nothing [Henry-type currency pick].
I know of no gettable tall KPF or KPD that might request a trade at seasons end however.
Most annoying that Himmelberg couldnt be poached from GWS at end of 2023 as we'd hoped; I'd have liked The Baron in #27 at Pies.
Hines obvious miss of Riccardi some years back also gets my goat.
How much will the next Mickey Dimmish, Andy Payne etc cost us again?

LaurieHolden wrote:
Speaking of KPF - Drafted: Round 1, Pick #9 2015 National Draft by Melbourne Demons Height: 197cm Weight: 99kg. Yes please you say?
Sam Weideman - Melbourne > Essendon. Into his 9th season and can't crack a game for Essendon in 2024. Goalless again in R3 VFL over the weekend after 2 goals in R2 the week prior and 1 behind in R1.

Okay, so onto the enigmatic consistantly inconsistant Weideman ...
By now we have sacrified pick #7 at the Altar of Stupidity for Treloar.
Brisbane pissed theirs into the pyre for Schache. Seriously?
So we now have a hypothetical as to who we might have got; we therefore missed our choice of Weid, Harry McKay, Ben McKay or Charlie Curnow.
Horrifyingly, Carlton got it right, and still might nap #17 this season as a result.
You can bet Melbourne rue their call as well.
However, I was all for taking him for a jatz cracker pick late 2022, as Dopers eventually did. I'd be surprised if he sees out his contract there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_AFL_draft

1 1 Jacob Weitering Carlton Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
1 2 Josh Schache Brisbane Lions Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup
1 3 Callum Mills Sydney North Shore Sydney AFL Academy player; Melbourne's bid matched with picks 33, 36, 37 and 43[128]
1 4 Clayton Oliver Melbourne Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast
1 5 Darcy Parish Essendon Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
1 6 Aaron Francis Essendon West Adelaide SANFL Traded from St Kilda
1 7 Jacob Hopper Greater Western Sydney North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Academy player; Gold Coast's bid matched with pick 11[128]
1 8 Callum Ah Chee Gold Coast South Fremantle WAFL Traded from Melbourne
1 9 Sam Weideman Melbourne Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney; received from Collingwood
1 10 Harry McKay Carlton Gippsland Power TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney
1 11 Wayne Milera Adelaide Central District SANFL Traded from Geelong
1 12 Charlie Curnow Carlton Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Traded from Western Bulldogs

talent pool dimishes past these picks, with limited access to to academy eligability...

1 13 Matthew Kennedy Greater Western Sydney Collingullie-Glenfield Park RFNL Academy player; Richmond's bid matched with picks 34 and 40[128]
1 14 Eric Hipwood Brisbane Lions Aspley NEAFL Academy player; Richmond's bid matched with picks 36 and 37[128]
1 15 Daniel Rioli Richmond North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup
1 16 Harrison Himmelberg Greater Western Sydney Mangoplah-CUE RFNL Academy player; Adelaide's bid matched with picks 48, 50, 55 and 59[128]

some gold left to fossick for..

1 17 Tom Doedee Adelaide Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
1 18 Jade Gresham St Kilda Northern Knights TAC Cup Traded from Sydney
1 19 Ryan Burton Hawthorn North Adelaide SANFL Traded from North Melbourne
1 20 Brayden Fiorini Gold Coast Northern Knights TAC Cup Traded from Fremantle
1 21 Ben McKay North Melbourne Gippsland Power TAC Cup Traded from Brisbane Lions; received from West Coast
1 22 Kieran Lovell Hawthorn Kingborough TSL
1 23 David Cuningham Carlton Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup Traded from Richmond; received from Gold Coast; received from Greater Western Sydney via a trade in 2012; received from Fremantle in 2011; compensation pick from 2011 (Palmer)
2 24 Ben Keays Brisbane Lions Brisbane Lions NEAFL Academy player; Western Bulldogs' bid matched with Brisbane's next pick[128]
2 25 Josh Dunkley Western Bulldogs Gippsland Power TAC Cup Traded from Carlton; father-son eligible (son of Andrew Dunkley), but Sydney did not match bid[128]
2 26 Kieran Collins Western Bulldogs Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Carlton; received from Brisbane Lions
2 27 Darcy Tucker Fremantle North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Traded from Gold Coast
2 28 Luke Partington West Coast Norwood SANFL Traded from Sydney; received from Essendon
2 29 Alex Morgan Essendon Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup Traded from St Kilda
2 30 Mason Redman Essendon Glenelg SANFL Traded from Melbourne
2 31 Ryan Clarke North Melbourne Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Traded from Brisbane Lions; received from Collingwood
2 32 Brayden Sier Collingwood Northern Knights TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney

onto our later picks, for serviceable players: Phillips, Wills and Crock...

3 54 Mitch Brown Essendon Sandringham VFL Traded from West Coast
4 55 Sam Collins Fremantle Box Hill VFL Traded from Gold Coast
4 56 Jordan Dawson Sydney Sturt SANFL
4 57 Kurt Mutimer West Coast Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from Essendon
4 58 Tom Phillips Collingwood Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup
4 59 Ryan Gardner Geelong Burnie TSL
4 60 Declan Mountford North Melbourne Claremont WAFL
4 61 Shane Yarran Fremantle Subiaco WAFL
4 62 Matthew Allen West Coast Glenelg SANFL
5 63 Rupert Wills Collingwood Collingwood VFL Traded from Greater Western Sydney; received from Carlton
5 64 Yestin Eades Essendon North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup
5 65 Ben Crocker Collingwood Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup
5 66 Sam Menegola Geelong Subiaco WAFL
5 67 Nathan Broad Richmond Swan Districts WAFL
6 68 Michael Hartley Essendon Coburg VFL

All ancient history sure, but Carlton's windfall to get this one right might send us all into a nightmare by seasons end 2024.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 pm

Newelly wrote:
Sharenberg, Freeman and Langdon. All had real potential but from memory only Langdon played in 2018 GF. Is that right?

A fit and seasoned Freeman and Scharenberg might have been the difference but neither stayed injury free for significant periods in order to fulfill their potential.

Bonafide cripples prior to their drafting. We were warned.
Neither in the class of Cripps.
The question is HOW do recruiters NOT see the talent of Cripps, that he slips to 13th pick?

Langdon unlucky not to be a premiership player in 2018, but he had a few mates there.

It took us two more years, and trade pick bleeding, to poach Aish over from Brisbane...

McStay, Merrett, Crouch, and other players that walk into our starting 22 ANY given season, all passed over for not one, but two, top-ten cripples.

As a side note: St.Vomit's recruiter should have been burnt at the stake, for taking Billings ahead of Bont

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_AFL_draft

Round Pick Player Drafted to Recruited from League Notes
1 1 Tom Boyd Greater Western Sydney Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
1 2 Josh Kelly Greater Western Sydney Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Traded from Melbourne
1 3 Jack Billings St Kilda Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup
1 4 Marcus Bontempelli Western Bulldogs Northern Knights TAC Cup
1 5 Kade Kolodjashnij Gold Coast Launceston TSL
1 6 Matthew Scharenberg Collingwood Glenelg SANFL Traded from West Coast
1 7 James Aish Brisbane Lions Norwood SANFL
1 8 Luke McDonald North Melbourne Werribee VFL Father–son selection – son of Donald McDonald
1 9 Christian Salem Melbourne Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Mid first round compensation pick from 2010 traded from Greater Western Sydney
1 10 Nathan Freeman Collingwood Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup
1 11 Dom Sheed West Coast Subiaco WAFL Traded from Collingwood; free agency compensation pick (Thomas)
1 12 Ben Lennon Richmond Northern Knights TAC Cup
1 13 Patrick Cripps Carlton East Fremantle WAFL
1 14 Cam McCarthy Greater Western Sydney South Fremantle WAFL Traded from Port Adelaide
1 15 Zak Jones Sydney Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup
1 16 Darcy Lang Geelong Geelong Falcons TAC Cup
1 17 Michael Apeness Fremantle Eastern Ranges TAC Cup
1 18 Luke Dunstan St Kilda Woodville-West Torrens SANFL Traded from Hawthorn
1 19 Blake Acres St Kilda West Perth WAFL Traded from Hawthorn; free agency compensation pick (Franklin)
1 20 Jack Leslie Gold Coast Gippsland Power TAC Cup End of first round uncontracted player compensation pick
2 21 Jarman Impey Port Adelaide Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup Traded from Greater Western Sydney
2 22 Darcy Gardiner Brisbane Lions Geelong Falcons TAC Cup Traded by Greater Western Sydney; received from Melbourne
2 23 Matt Crouch Adelaide North Ballarat Rebels TAC Cup Traded from Melbourne; free agency compensation pick (Sylvia)
2 24 Billy Hartung Hawthorn Dandenong Stingrays TAC Cup Traded from St Kilda
2 25 Daniel McStay Brisbane Lions Eastern Ranges TAC Cup Traded from St Kilda; free agency compensation pick (Dal Santo)
2 26 Zach Merrett Essendon Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup Traded from Western Bulldogs

and the "dregs" ...

3 56 James Sicily Hawthorn Western Jets TAC Cup
4 57 Jayden Hunt Melbourne Brighton Grammar APS Traded from Greater Western Sydney
4 65 Tom Langdon Collingwood Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm

piedys wrote:
Newelly wrote:
Sharenberg, Freeman and Langdon. All had real potential but from memory only Langdon played in 2018 GF. Is that right?

A fit and seasoned Freeman and Scharenberg might have been the difference but neither stayed injury free for significant periods in order to fulfill their potential.

Bonafide cripples prior to their drafting. We were warned.
Neither in the class of Cripps.

I will give you the FACTS on Freeman because I coached him at U16 level. He and his family were also my next door neighbour for a number of years. Firstly Freeman never had a soft tissue injury during his time at either U16 or U18 level.
Because I coached him at U16 level, Rendell spoke to me as part of the clubs diligence required for collecting the social profiles of all potential prospects. Rendell said at the time they were very keen on Salem ( Freeman’s Dragons team mate ) They felt his ball use and composure made him more desirable than Freeman but the club had also put a priority on speed as an immediate need. At the time we spoke, the final draft order hadn’t been finalised, so it was more about collecting information before they prepared their selection order. It’s history now that Dees picked Salem at pick 9 and our recruiters then went with satisfying the need for speed fixation with Freeman at #10. Freeman was lightning quick for a player of his build but lacked composure and was one sided. Freeman’s ( Hailbury ) stocks also rose when he torched Salem ( Brighton Grammar ) in an APS game during their draft year.
To your point, on the night when he was picked at ten, I remember saying to myself, he doesn’t strike me as the tenth best junior in the country. That nasty hammy in the last practice match before the season started didn’t help either but it should also be remembered another club, StKilda also thought he would make it.
Langdon was another Dragon and an inspired selection in the sixties whose career was cut short with degenerative knee (s). I saw a bit of Langdon as an U18 and he was pretty underwhelming, so when they selected him on the night, I almost thought they called out the wrong name. While all recruiters get it wrong at some point, they should also be congratulated for identifying talent when no one else sees it. Win some, lose some and that will never change.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:03 pm

We've apparently stated we want to bring in top talent, but we want to keep top draft picks and use free agency, so that lets out baily Smith and Ugle Hagen.
Rory Lobb is a more realistic target, with Sam Darcy and the others, the Dogs might be happy to get his salary off the books.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:58 pm

Great intel on Freeman thanks for sharing. Langdon inspired right from his debut in defence at the old Telstra Dome vs the Eagles I think. We got belted and he was the one shining light.

Lobb seems an obvious target for a few teams but I’m not really sure. Inconsistent tall. Goes missing for huge chunks of the season. Made Tabener look good at Freo. Never was sure why he left GWS I think that was a career mistake in the long run. He did have a day out in 2022 against the dogs at Marvel kicking about 5 from the pockets close to the 50m line but has been more off than on for me.

Would prefer a strong physical FWD ruck but in the absence of one available, I’m still sure that I don’t want Lobb

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

2002 apologies

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 pm

^ LH, talk of trading heart and soul Maynard out seems sacrilegious to me.
It gives me heart papitations. This must NOT happen.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 131 of 135   

Jump to: