Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Markov getting possessions and disposals in the VFL but his kicking efficiency I has been poor missing targets regularly. Small ground and few marking targets however.

JDG and Titch, give em a rest if needed and get them right for a longer period. Carmichael and Sullivan in otherwise.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:37 pm

In Carmichael McRae kruger
Out JDG Mitchell Side (managed)
Time we get it right at the selection table Mitchell and JDG was under an injury cloud Anzac Day now we pay the price
Get it right this time
No wonder we are out of the 8
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 pm

^ has Kruger played any VFL?

This might be controversial, but Degoey in current form isn't a huge loss. His (Degoey) disposal has been more of a liability than help. He alone won't be the difference between winning and losing.

In Mcrae, Markov , McInnes
Out Mitchell and Degoey, Sidey

Play Mcare in the middle for the whole game, play Mcinnes full forward. Markov as sub.

As I said, I don't think we are any chance of winning this game. But I really want to see a tad more creativity at selection. This broken record of same people in for same people out is getting very old.

Okay maybe some of these guy in the long run are not at AFL level, but you won't know unless you play them Rolling Eyes

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 pm

If JDG and Mitchell are out then it is not looking promising.
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:46 am

[quote="derkd"]^ has Kruger played any VFL?

Yes he played last year and has been in intense recovery ever since. He’s ready. He’s ready to watch from the sidelines that is. Not anticipating he plays a senior match again barring some gross misfortune to others and the reverse for him. Tough luck son but he’s out at the end of this year

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:54 am

The Black and White Lion wrote:
^

He might play again, unlikely he gets more than two quaters worth of football.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:24 pm

some real hate in here for Kruger lol
he would be in the seniors if he didnt get injured earlier in the year.

hes the best key forward we have behind mcstay
yes we had Johnson kick a handful of goals last 2 seasons but once the opposition found out his softness he was exploited, and will be forever.

we need Kruger to crash packs and bring the footy down to our smalls.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
^

A tad unfair to say 'hate' i don't think any of us here hate him, would love nothing more than to see Kruger succeed. Sadly the reality is he has never been able to string a meaningful number of games together without some kind of injury. History says, you get to this point in your career and your still battling, your unlikely to become what you hoped.

I just shake my head when posters keep putting his name up for games like he will magically solve our issues by being selected. I think the club (as unfortunate as this sounds) should have made the call last year.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:18 pm

We got done at clearance last week. Imagine going into a game without Titch and Jordy against the best clearance team in the league.

The Blues may rack up 50 clearances on Friday, god help our backline.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:04 pm

So, the ledger stands at 131W-4D-129L. There was a time I never thought we'd pull in front of them. I love these clashes, my fondest memories are being part of the blockbuster 80k+ crowds of the 80's and 90's and any wins over the Blues.
There's plenty of Blues supporters banging on about Charlie Cameron and Harry McKay, but last time I checked, a Coleman Medal is an individual award, a Premiership Medal is a team award.

If we go into this without JDG, Mitchell or both, and expecting to match them head-to-head in the midfield, it's going to be a long day. Get Macrae back into the centre mix, and don't hang him out to dry if the Blues midfield do a clearance number on us.

Tactically, we need to set our defence up to have the best chance to combat the Blues twin threats. They have not kicked more than a hundred points against us in 10 years. With that, play an extra man back to crowd the backline to assist our defenders. So as not to impinge the 6-6-6 ruling, have a defensive winger positioned on the edge of the square and peel off from the bounce.
Markov or preferably Jakob Ryan gets a re-start. I view their work-rate would suit this tactical approach.

Then have one of our HFF play higher up the ground. I'd like to see Bobby & Jamie rotate in this role, create headaches for the opposition with their dash and flair. McInnes as a sub would seem to fit.
That leaves our forward line open for our small forwards to work into space.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed May 01, 2024 1:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:01 pm

^ not sure why, I have a very very bad feeling about this game. I know we rarely if ever get belted. This game for me, has the feeling that a belting could be coming.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 pm

Krueger is scheduled to play in the VFL this Saturday.
Hopefully he can get through this game unscathed but the odds are not good.

He tends to have a kamikazee style of play and yes, he can crash packs but usually injures himself in the process.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm

Can we exploit Carlton's "weak" defense?

TheAge: ‘We don’t stand for that’: Blues’ fatal flaw exposed ahead of Magpies blockbuster.
By Jon Pierik, April 30

Carlton’s fatal flaw has been laid bare as they prepare for a Friday-night blockbuster against archrival Collingwood. The inconsistent Blues have had a horrible three weeks defensively, conceding an average of 105.3 points through losses to Adelaide and Geelong, and a come-from-behind win over Greater Western Sydney. They had conceded an average of just 77.5 points a game in their opening four wins of the season. Only the winless North Melbourne (130) have conceded more points over the past three weeks, and the Blues also ranked 17th for marks against inside defensive 50, while being crunched on scores from turnovers and stoppages.

Veteran Sam Docherty, now working on the bench on game day as he recovers from ACL surgery, said on Monday the Blues had to tighten up defensively. “Ultimately, our defence probably hasn’t been good enough for a few weeks now. When you are conceding 120 points … internally, we are probably a team that doesn’t stand for that,” Docherty said at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre on Monday. “There are many elements of what that represents … we don’t want to be a team that is playing in shootouts. We really need to tidy that up and, coming up against a really quality side in Collingwood this week, it will be really important our defence is on.” The “elements” Docherty alluded to may have been what Magpies great Nathan Buckley referenced on Monday, that the Cats and Giants are two of the best teams at slicing opponents by run and carry, and by hand from defensive 50, troubling the Blues on the rebound and their set-up behind the ball. The Cats – led by star forward Jeremy Cameron, who has free licence to push into defence – put on a show against the Blues in a 13-point win on Saturday.

Now the Blues must deal with the premiers on Friday night, another side Buckley said embraced end-to-end dash when in form. “Geelong are running the ball out, and GWS run the ball out, and Collingwood, which is why they will be in the [premiership] mix for a long time, is because of the way they set up the ground. They set up the ground to protect their defence, and they are one of the best teams when they are going, at going from end to end and scoring from the back half,” Buckley told SEN.

Led by the indefatigable trio of Marc Pittonet, Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh, the Blues won the clearances 44-38 and contested possessions 139-120 on Saturday, but Buckley has questioned whether stoppage work is as important as it once was, noting Richmond’s recent premiership dynasty was built on having a spare man behind the ball. Despite full-back Jacob Weitering holding Tom Hawkins goalless, premiership great Matthew Lloyd said the Blues’ team defence had work to do, noting the Cats beat the Blues on the rebound. “I don’t like their defence compared to other team defences. Their midfield has to be on to protect this defence,” Lloyd told the AFL website. Geelong great Jimmy Bartel said the Blues needed to match opponents with more scoring from the back half, noting the Cats booted five goals from this facet compared to Carlton’s one. “It felt like Carlton dominated field position, 66 inside forward 50s. It’s a big room for improvement for Carlton when they get to the pointy end of the season – when the pressure is on, they have got to be able to find those easier ones inside forward 50,” Bartel said. That the Blues squandered several opportunities in front of goal did not help their cause.

In his post-match media conference after the Crows pinched victory by two points in round five, in his pre-game media conference before the Giants clash and, again, on Saturday, Blues coach Michael Voss has demanded greater defensive accountability. “We’ve got to be better, we’re going to expect better from each other. We conceded 118 points, it’s just too much,” Voss said on Saturday. What to do: Michael Voss and his Blues need to find a way to stop opponents from scoring on the rebound. “It was too easy for them [Cats] to score at the other end. Let’s just put it under the banner of defending when you need to – we haven’t done that in this game.” Wingman Blake Acres leads the league in points conceded (42) from turnovers over the past three weeks, while half-back Zac Williams (25) is equal fourth. However, Champion Data stresses there needs to be context in this statistic, given an effective disposal can still result in a turnover. The defensive woes have contributed to the Blues’ inconsistent in-game performances, for they have a 14-13-1 record in 28 quarters of football this season. They have been impacted by hamstring injuries to front-line defenders Mitch McGovern and Adam Saad, the latter’s speed and creativity from half-back sorely missed. Voss said McGovern would be “around the mark” for a possible return on Friday. The absence of midfielder Adam Cerra has also hurt in providing greater midfield flexibility.

Ref:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we-don-t-stand-for-that-blues-fatal-flaw-exposed-ahead-of-magpies-blockbuster-20240429-p5fn9d.html

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 pm

Other than being realistic about his prospects at the end of the year. Yep would love Krueger to play and make a difference but the evidence base is low to date. Good luck to him if he can turn it around now and make it. I hope he does get some match fitness and consistency in the VFL. I’m not confident he will make it however I’m happy for him to prove me wrong also
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 pm

Titch has been ruled out and JDG very unlikely according to Seven
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: