Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ANZAC day match.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 11:14 am
Post subject: ANZAC day match.Reply with quote

First of all my friend Deano got into the ground alright. Only back from Thailand on Sunday, he did not know for sure that we could NOT get him into the ground until just before twelve (I did not realise they had presold MCC Member's guest passes). For a short while we thought the MCC had reserved us 2 Pavillion passes and we would not be able to buy two guest passes. But thankfully the MCC is not that stupid. So Craig and I (with member Tim in tow) were in the ground just after twelve and Deano was heading off around the ground to try and get in. In the end he easily got standing room under the Southern Stand and did not have to pay a cent, just show his membership card. Sanity did prevail. Especially as there was only 88,000 there although I could not see where they would fit another 6,000?

The game.

The defense in the first half was great. Richo, McKee, Burns and Tarkyn were great. Even the Mad Bombers around me were impressed by Tarkyn. Some of the marks these lot took were fantastic.

Richo let himself down terribly when he took the kickout in the last quarter and passed it straight to a waiting Lloyd. Buckley passed it to Lloyd for a goal too. So the 40 point margin is a bit deceptive. I think we only deserved to be beaten by 4 goals or so.

The pressure that was put on Essendon in the first half was immense. But we found it hard to convert our opportunites. Sav was not presenting himself enough, and when he did there was too few of our crumbers to deal with the inevitable Fletcher spoil.

The White Maggots did not help us in the first half. The free kicks were going Essendon's way.

Buckley kicked terribly at times. Just before he kicked those three 2nd quarter goals he kicked two grubbers. I suspect his groin because those kicks reminded me so much of Mickey McGuane's kicking just before he cleared off to Carlscum.

Tarkyn did not seem to make much of an impact when he was thrown into the middle in the 3rd quarter.

I did not rate Hird's game as even good, but I obviously did not see a lot of his possesions (especially the ones that got him best on ground, the ones I saw where pretty ordinary) and one of his goals was a gimme. Caracella was their best. Who did he play on? Lucas was the forward we found hard to contain. But remember Presti was not there (nor Pebble or Mal, all three could have been used to halt the second half onslaught).

The lads did seem to lose the plot during this game. It was sheer effort that kept is in the contest in the first half, the goals were hard to come by, and we were lucky that Buckley's kicking came good and he kicked three straing to give us the lead in the 2nd quarter. They were in front most of the first quarter, second quarter and of course nearly all the third quarter and all the fourth. In the second half individual efforts were still there but teamwork and team support was not. Adkins seemed hell bent on getting us back in it by himself in the fourth quarter.

Watson was terrible. He was getting a lot of the ball in the first quarter (but should have got more) but was ineffective with it. At one point, on the memebers wing, (second or third quarter?) he did not bother to dive to receive a pass (or knock it over the boundary. Essendon got to it after it had bounced and raced off for another goal.

Rogan Josh started on the ball and continues to impress with his ability to quickly recover from taking the tap and then help in clearing the ball or tackling the opposition. Hopefully he does not lose this agility with age and increased body weight. His disposal is improving. Barnes got too much of the ball around the ground in the first half but less in the second when Rogan tightened up a bit. McKee showed why we traded Kingy for him, and I think he will be used more and more in the ruck. His disposal was good.

Licuria got plenty of the ball and played a lot in the back half. Was he a wingman drifting down there or a spare man in defense?

Ukovic was a bright spot when he came on in the second half and kicked two.

Have I mentioned Willow's almost screamer. He had the ball in his hands only to have a perfectly timed spoil from the smaller Johnson (#1) ruin, what could have been mark of the year.

My votes would have gone
3. S Lucas (Ess)
2. B Caracella (Ess)
1. and a half point each to Tarkyn and Burnsy

I am going to turn up at Pet Cemetary on Monday and if I do not get in straight away (I am not prebooking a seat) will just spew. I will hang around for a while singing "Why are we waiting" and then leave, once I get bored of standing in line.
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report Greg.
Disagree on a few of your assessments however. I thought Lockyer was very good again and gave us countless forward opportunities. Again his precision kicking was pinpoint!
Ukovic disappointed again...I know they seem to like him on telly but one of his efforts in the first quarter led directly to an Essendon goal; unlike many of the young kids he just doesn't put in enough.
Richo/Presti were always going to have problems with pacy forwards; we really need a mobile big guy desperately back there.
One of Lloyd's efforts turned Richo completely inside out in the third quarter...I think Richo is still turning!
Sorry to have to say this but Sav was pitiful
yesterday....whether he's having trouble with MM's game plan or what I don't know.
Greg, you said his leads were ineffective......WHAT leads???.....you can't call those faltering, feeble strides leads.
I was VERY disappointed in him.
Nearly as disappointed as I was in Watson.
Now Watto's kicking wasn't ever all that flash, but yesterday I would hate to have been a forward leading to his kicks.
They were airy lollipops totally lacking any penetration. Someone must have heard me screaming at him and at Malthouse to get him off!
On the positive side:
McKee surprised across half back.
O'Bree blitzed them in the first half...and Fraser held his own.
Buckley didn't use the ball as well as usual but would still be in my top three on the ground.....he was still our best.
We were over-run by a juggernaut in the third quarter, but there was plenty to like.
Dare I say it??
I think we will make the eight now.
We've proved over the last two weeks that we are legit even in defeat.
We've played the two best sides in the comp and stood up pretty well.
I just hope we don't drop this week's game by way of a let down after the Blockbuster.
Selections:
IN: A. Rocca Scotland
OUT: S.Rocca (I know they won't but I would)
S. Watson (please!!!!!!)

Magpie Gal 19 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 3:11 pm

Hey Greg, I agree that Scott Lucas is the player that killed us. I thought he shouldve got that medal not James Hird.

And Neil I also agree with you about dropping Sav. He needs to get his confidence up again. And Watto 4 bloody points, what else can ya say!
Also isn't about time that Bagger and Jaca came up and played in the seniors?

Eventhough we lost I thought the boys played fantastic! Keep the good work up boys.

NICK DAVIS KICKS ASS!!!
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:28 am

agreed Magpiegal on Craig that is. Also i reckon it's about time they play that little spunk Roachy he seems to be going alright in the ressies!

#8 RoCkS
Go RiCkY!

Granny Magpie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 12:22 pm

I can't beleive that no-one on this site has mentioned Shane O'Bree as one of our best players!! He had 14 possessions in the first quarter and was named as Collingwood's best player. Also Rowd'ys contribution was of value considering he came back from injury!!! I couldn't help myself - had to mention him!!!! I just cannot beleive that the SLIMY Mike Sheahan has actually given Collingwood the recognition that they deserve for their hard work this year - so far. We'll win more games - we weren't disgraced on ANZAC day. C'mon Pies.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 4:59 am

Point taken Granny. O'Bree was brilliant. I think this guy is the real thing. And I reckon he will get the votes in the Copeland for this game.

When I went to look at the stats I was surprised that Tarkyn and Burns did not have 20 touches each by half time. But O'Bree almost did in one quarter.

My Copeland Votes.
3. O'Bree
2. Burns
1. Buckley

Granny Magpie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 6:50 am

Greg,
About Burnsey - I thought what a gutsy player he was on Tuesday when he stood his ground and took the mark against two Essendon players. I had visions of him hitting the deck pretty hard !!!! After the match I had the priviledge of talking to him and standing next to him I just couldn't get over how short he is. Full points to him for courage - height is an advantage but after seeing him it certainly isn't everything! Onya' Burnsey. I agree with your votes too.

Granny Magpie.

------------------
ROWDY FOREVER

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 12:46 pm

Obree was fantastic. Pretty close to his best game this season. He has been an awesome pickup from Brisbane.

I agree with you Greg.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: