Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gillespie Comiing Home?!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:12 pm
Post subject: Gillespie Comiing Home?!Reply with quote

just heard it on the news. His injury looks like it isnt going to heel in time for any games. Decision is going to be made within the next two days if he'll come home or not.

If he comes home im gonna be spewin!

"The Collingwood Magpies are not a football team, they are a way of life."

"THE GAME AIN'T OVER TIL SIMON SAYS"
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we find a spot for Bic? Looks like fate stepped in.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:51 pm

Gillespie may miss rest of the World Cup
Will Swanton - 4 March 2003

JOHANNESBURG, March 4 AAP - Shattered Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie is in doubt for the rest of the World Cup.

Ravaged by injuries throughout his career, Gillespie was taken for scans today to determine whether his right Achilles tendon injury would force him out of the tournament.

"It certainly hasn't improved since the problem initially occurred, which isn't ideal," said coach John Buchanan.

Gillespie's fate will be known within 48 hours.

He initially felt pain at a net session before last week's match against Namibia at Potchefstroom. He re-aggravated the problem at training before last Sunday's clash with England.

He missed both those matches and Buchanan rated him "extremely doubtful" for Australia's first Super Sixes game at Centurion's SuperSport park on Friday.

Physiotherapist Errol Alcott has been briefing selectors on Gillespie's worrying condition in case a replacement fast bowler needs to be brought into a squad already missing first-choice spinner Shane Warne.

"The selectors are probably on the case there," said Buchanan.

"I know Errol's been talking to them. They'll be looking at all the options at this stage but this final scan will be the determining factor."

Before the World Cup, a fully fit Gillespie had said: "I can't forsee myself having a problem ... you always get emotionally affected when you get hurt.

"I'd be more upset if I got injured and hadn't done the work previously. If I hadn't done the work and got injured I'd be dirty. I'm human, I get down and it's disappointing and it's happened to me a lot of times but you just have to think,' What have I got to do to get back in the team?'"

Gillespie was firing on all cylinders before he broke down, taking eight wickets at 12.25 against India, Pakistan, Holland and Zimbabwe.

"The heel problem hasn't gotten any better over the past few days," he said today.

"I'll continue to work with Errol Alcott over the next few days and hopefully come good.

"On a more positive note it was fantastic to see a fellow fast bowler in Andy Bichel stand in and do so well against England."

Bichel, coming off his 7-20 against England, is a ready-made replacement, but Buchanan hoped Gillespie would be able to return later in the tournament, which ends with the final on March 23 - less than three weeks away.

"At this stage it's a concern for sure because the injury hasn't actually gone away," said Buchanan.

"He wants to be out on the field like anybody. For him it's just another injury in a litany of injuries.

"He's always managed to get through that, he's a pretty tough sort of bloke in that regard."

Asked how Gillespie was coping with his latest enforced absence, Buchanan said: "Obviously he's disappointed. He's part of the World Cup squad and wants to play every game.

"It just seems that there's always a little hurdle somewhere along the line.

"He faces up to that pretty well. It's the initial period that is always quite disillusioning and it's almost like, 'Here we go again.'

"But he's resilient, he's a great kid and he works hard and whatever comes of this I expect him to get through it and be back in that team as soon as he can be."

Donny.

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:34 pm

This is sad news I hope he's ok!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:04 am

Its no laughing matter.....

poor Dizzy...he seems to get the worst luck....

If australia go on and win this WC...without Dizzy and Warne (who would be the best two bowlers in ANY other side) it would just highlight how much better they are then the rest....

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:06 am

And Gillespie says he's not injury-prone??? I beg to differ!

It's such a shame as he's a real talent - we just haven't had the chance to see enough of him yet.

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:38 am

Gillesspie is a huge blow to the Australian team. He often is the man to get the key break throughs when required.

Last game when Bichel played there were no real expectations on him ?? Whereas this time the expectations will be greater. With greater expectations come pressure.

It will be interesting to see how he goes.

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:43 pm

Gillespie loses fitness battle

Gillespie took eight wickets in four games
Jason Gillespie has failed to shake off a tendon injury in time for the Cricket World Cup's Super Six phase.
The Australian fast bowler confirmed his withdrawal from the tournament on Wednesday.

"I'm shattered and disappointed but these things happen," he told a news conference.

"It's very disappointing, but I'll be okay."

Feature: Living without dizzy

Queensland left-armer Nathan Bracken, who has played 11 one-day internationals, has been called up as his replacement.

Gillespie had a scan on his injured right heel on Tuesday after missing Australia's last two group games.

It showed that the 27-year-old has strained the tendon that runs alongside the Achilles tendon.

"I'm relieved it's not my Achilles," he said. "That could have been a lot more dangerous.

"Injuries are just part and parcel of being a fast bowler, and I've had my fair share.

Gillespie added he hopes to be bowling again in about four weeks and be available for Australia's West Indies tour.

Injury problems

The South Australia paceman had taken eight wickets in four group games, but sat out last weekend's thrilling win over England.

He was not missed, however, as replacement Andy Bichel took 7-20, the second best figures in World Cup history.

He also made a vital unbeaten 34 as Australia reached their target with two balls to spare.

Gillespie has suffered a series of injury problems during his career.

He missed the last World Cup because of a back problem and the following year suffered a broken leg when he collided with captain Steve Waugh while fielding in a Test match in Sri Lanka.

The world champions play Sri Lanka in the first match of the Super Six stage on Friday.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:32 pm

JLC. Has Bracken changed states? Or is the above just another inaccurate piece of journalism?

Please include the scource, m8.

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 06 March 2003).]
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:01 am

That was the BBC webite in England

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:25 am

I reckon NSW would have been a lot happier if Ashley Noffke was called up instead of Bracken!

Donny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: