Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hussain Resigns as One-day Skipper

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:36 am
Post subject: Hussain Resigns as One-day SkipperReply with quote

Nasser Hussain resigns as England one-day captain
Ralph Dellor - 4 March 2003

Nasser Hussain has announced that he is resigning as England's one-day captain. Speaking at a press conference in Port Elizabeth shortly after England's elimination from the World Cup as a result of Zimbabwe's match with Pakistan in Bulawayo being abandoned because of rain, he said that he can no longer justify his place in the side and would like to hand over the reins to a younger man. However, he is also adamant that he wants to continue as captain of the Test side if he is still required to do so.

Hussain said: "The time has come down to stand down as one-day captain, although I would like to carry on as England Test captain if the selectors want me to still do that.

"There are people younger than 30 who can come in, there are some very fine players. It's a good opportunity. But I would reiterate I am very keen to continue to captain the Test side.

"I firmly believe England are a better side with me as captain. My team have always responded to me but I also believe I don't warrant a place in the side any more."

It was after the last World Cup in England in 1999 that Hussain took over from Alec Stewart, having not been in the original 15-man squad. It was only when Michael Atherton's back injury resulted in his withdrawal that Hussain got into the side.

There were criticisms from certain quarters of the media last summer about his suitability to bat in the key number three position in the one-day side. He answered that criticism in memorable fashion with a hundred against India in the NatWest Series final against India at Lord's.

Now he has come to the conclusion that the end of the four-year World Cup cycle is the time to step down from this form of the game. It is a decision hastened by what he has had to endure this winter. He was frustrated that a series of injuries did not allow him to lead a full-strength side onto the field during the Ashes series in Australia, and then had to contend with the political wrangling about the Zimbabwe security situation prior to the World Cup. The narrow loss to Australia on Sunday and subsequent elimination from the tournament was the final straw.

"I am mentally and physically drained after this winter. I intend to take two months completely off," he said. "I will think about myself and my batting. What I have got to do is what is best for the team. I have retired from one-day cricket and someone else can lead the side.

"My gut feeling with this one-day side is that a young core of people should take this side on into the future."

Now speculation will centre on who replaces Hussain. Marcus Trescothick was thought to be the leading contender, but he has suffered a run of poor form and was overlooked for the job when Hussain withdrew from the World Cup match against Namibia. Alec Stewart was put in charge for that one.

Michael Vaughan would be the other obvious candidate. He impressed when leading an England A tour to Zimbabwe and South Africa in 1999 and has emerged as a world-class batsman in the past 12 months. However, he is relatively inexperienced in one-day international cricket where he has yet to enjoy the same success as in Test cricket.

The selectors have time to consider the position as England are not due to play another one-day international until 17th June at Old Trafford when the opposition will be another team eliminated from England's group in the World Cup – Pakistan.

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel extremely sorry for England.
They missed out on the super six only because of the decision to boycott the Zimbawbe game.
I truly wish the ACB had the strength to do the right thing and send a message that this type of regime is not tolerated in the sporting world.

-Craig

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:37 pm

i liked how he said that he doesnt have to read off a sheet, like shane warne, he's statments come from the heart! Now thats a great man. i dont care how many people diss-like Saddam but i like him.

footy ROX!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:59 pm

Hussain did a pretty good job as the English press are the toughest going around.

jlc

Its not arrogance if you can back it up

Fate is what you are given, Destiny is what you do with it

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:48 pm

Nah its quite easy.......add four points as they would have beaten Zimbabwe and they are in......pretty easy really

Lets just hope none of Australias matches are rain affected.....lmao otherwise they could be on the receiving end.......now wouldnt that be good

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:59 pm

yer he finally admitted that he is shit, him and the rest of the team!

TARKO TARKO MAN!
I WANT TO BE A TARKO MAN!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:11 pm

LoL CQ! I agree with Assasin on this one!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:55 pm

It was not a foregone conclusion that either England or Pakistan would've beaten Zimbabwe.

Hussain has done the right thing and it WAS good to see a cricketer making a statement without referring to a piece of paper. Collingwood for captain, I say!

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 06 March 2003).]
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:00 am

i thought hussein was a good captain,always tried his best at all times,over here,it was injuries that stuffed them up.if they werent all injured i think it wouldve been a good series,and if i was hussein i wouldve done the same thing and boycotted the matches..

cheers bryan..!!

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:02 am

Yeah they were unlucky when you consider Zimbabwes form. 6 points for doing nothing. At least ENGLAND EARNT every point they got!!!!!!!

What credibility does the tournament have by virtue that Kenya can qualify for the semis if one of their games is washed out.....thats a farce

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:24 am

who is going to replace Hussain? Pick Straws?

Interesting to note he thinks he is still good enough to be captain of their test side....does he remember the summer he had in Oz?

PS...of course the would have beaten ZIM....are you guys actually watching the cricket???? They had the ALMIGHTY AUSTRALIAN side at 8/135.....CMON WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE...

This comp is a farce now with Kenya and Zim through....the world cup should be the BEST V BEST not BEST V a side who got free points from either a boycott or rain......

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:47 am

I'm not sure if Collingwood has captaincy experience but his general attitude suggests he'd be a good replacement for Hussain.

Not much point having ANY side 8/135 and not being able to finish the job.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:51 am

You cant seriously tell me that England and Pakistan would have lost to Zimbabwe.....i think you tv set must be on sbs or something.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:59 am

I was merely highlighting that if Eng can have AUSTRALIA on the ropes then the likes of Zim would not be a challenge....

Now australia could lose to SL AND NZ and go through to the semis becuase they beat Kenya.....if I wasn't joking I would be laughing.......

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:43 pm

Donny! England lead by Collingwood?
OMG, how could I ever seriously love Collingwood (FC) again if the poms had Collingwood as their leader?
It's too awful to contemplate..........

-Craig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: