Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footy

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footy

Post by Bucks5 »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Oh thank god they're finally doing this. Not because I have any particular need to have a football game on good friday, but because it was so ridiculous not having one.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

At least SOMETHING will finally happen on Good Friday (the most BORING day of the year)
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Why do the AFL love the Druggies?.

But Glad they are Finally sticking it up the Religious People and Having Good Friday Footy
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

If the Peptide Bombers do get it it would be a travesty. There are several clubs including Norf who have put a lot of time into pushing for this, if it's then just handed to someone else that sucks.

Other than who plays on the day, all I have to say about Good Friday Football is about damn time.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

So let me get this straight.

The AFL fine the bummers a million dollars and strip them of draft picks just last year now they want to award them this fixture next year.

Wow what a message that sends.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
sixpoints

Re: Essendon emerges as serious contender for Good Fri footy

Post by sixpoints »

AN_Inkling

Post by AN_Inkling »

Last year's issues aside, I don't think it should be Essendon or us. Give it to teams that don't yet have a blockbuster game.

I do understand a reluctance to give it to struggling clubs like St Kilda or the Bulldogs. You don't want poor crowds on a big day, this isn't the NRL. But it shouldn't all be about the dollar, let's make this the Charity Cup and give it to the Dogs and Roos.
Well done boys!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Agreed, Inkling. Dogs and Roos would be a good choice.

What's the deal with proximity to the Royal Children's Hospital? I mean, I know there's a Good Friday appeal, but who cares which club is closest to a hospital? I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people in Perth and Brisbane interested in donating to cancer patients.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

I think you need one big draw club + one struggling club. Carlton/Richmond vs Roos/Dogs would work. Rotate those teams around. Maybe throw Melbourne in (are they still a draw?) and St Kilda.

Essenscum can **** off (Yes I'd rather Carlton than that mob get this game)
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
Jezza
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Jezza »

I'm not fussed about whether football is played on Good Friday or not but let's hope Essendon doesn't get to play on that day though considering what has happened and unfolded in the past 12 months. They don't deserve it and they already have ANZAC Day with us anyway.

I hear North Melbourne has been pushing for Good Friday football for nearly 20 years apparently so I wouldn't mind them getting it along with the Bulldogs as well.

I think Wokko is right in the extent that I think the game has to involve one big club (in terms of popularity) vs. a struggling club.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Brenny

Post by Brenny »

Personally, I'm hoping the Roos and WB take the game and it stays with them forever. Like us and ANZAC day.

My worry is, if they start sharing it around, then it could be a precursor to share ANZAC day.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey, we want some Bayley!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Hird is just like Jesus. A human with a god complex who looks likely to rise again. It's fitting.
Buon Giorno
yin-YANG

Post by yin-YANG »

Dons are not good... just not right for Good Friday!

I would suggest the Saints and the Demons due to the obvious religious connections :)
Love us or Hate us... we are Collingwood - you can't ignore the Mighty Magpies!!!