Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bumping this.

Despite assurances that we don't have a salary cap problem, reports are that Grundy has been told to look around.

He's apparently met with GWS and Melbourne, the latter being in the box seat if jackson leaves to go to Freo.

Apparently, Gawn was at the meeting and has assured Brody that he would be first ruck with Gawn spending more time as a forward.

The sticking point would be, Melbourne would want us to pay between $250-$300k of his salary for each year of his contract. Combined with Treloar that would mean we're paying over $500k of our salary cap each year to players playing for other teams. which would be fkn ridiculous.

Personally I hope it's all speculative bullshit clickbait. What sort of message does it send to players if you offer long term contracts on big coin, then basically boot them when it suits?

I can't decide if it's absolute pragmatism or total incompetence.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Presti35 »

stui magpie wrote:Combined with Treloar that would mean we're paying over $500k of our salary cap each year to players playing for other teams. which would be fkn ridiculous.
Just saw this on 7news.

Gotta say, it doesnt sit comfortably with me.

Over 2 Million to two players to play elsewhere. :?

When is the Treloar contract over? Is it 2025?

I'll tell you what Collingwood, win a premiership right now and we'll let this slide. I just cbf with the "thanks for paying for him" comments that come with this kind of trade. Especially if they go on to win a flag with another club.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 120 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Yeah let’s give a premiership team an A grade player plus a bonus $300k each year until 2027.
Presti35
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Presti35 »

I agree that $300 grand is too much. We either take less in a trade, or he takes a pay cut.

All this because we were scared to see him walk.

I wonder which club would be willing to take on his contract?

I dunno. I wouldnt like to see him go to Geelong or Melbourne. 2 teams that can go all the way next year and 2 big rivals. I prefer to deal with GWS. If we're talking Taranto/Hopper, then I'd be much happier with that.

I just dont want all this talk to interfere with our upcoming finals campaign.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 79 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

There’s so much rumour speculation and innuendo going around it’s hard to take it all in
But the are some facts that won’t change
1. If Grundy wants to stay he stays simple we can’t readily force him out the door
2. Our previous cap issue was partially caused by part of Grundy contract being front ended. His management were smart as we had a history of back ending or re doing deals along the way and they wanted him to get as much cash as early as possible in case this situation happened
3. We jumped at shadows in the negotiations. The SA offers topped out at $800k and 5 years. We didn’t need to push it up by $200k and 2 years. All we had to to do was make a competitive offer and if he wanted to go home then we demand draft picks and players to get something back like we did in the Beams deal circa #1
4. Buckley’s comments when he went out injured have now been proven true. While he’s a good player ruck man aren’t hard to replace. All you basically need is someone to compete and your midfield to break even (even though we aren’t doing that we are winning so what is the real value of the clearance stat) ( remember Richmond won a flag losing clearances massively)
Lastly the guessing by media and posters we will be paying $200/$300k of his salary are just that it’s a guess and not a educated one.
If the mail is right his salary going forward averages $800k a year which is what his real value is then he’s already been paid his premium and we shouldn’t be kicking in any of his wage

Let’s leave the decision making to Wright I’m very confident he won’t put our cap in jeopardy paying more players playing elsewhere than spending it on players we need to keep our team competitive and improving
Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Yeah let’s give a premiership team an A grade player plus a bonus $300k each year until 2027.

IF this utter madness deal goes thru, we give a great ruckman, not even at his peak yet, to a premiership team, to ruck with the best ruckman in the game, to dominate US next season, to enhance the Deeeees even more, we should Molotov cocktail the Lexus centre, and im only half joking too, if this insanity goes thru, to vastly improve an already great dominant team, then im done, im done, I tell you that, if Wright lets this happen, whatever, im done.

Yeh im spewing, bigtime, sick of our Club being patsies, surely Fly would literally hit the roof if this vile horrid trade happened. :o :? :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :!: :!:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

With McEvoy retiring at Hawthorn you’d think they’d be a good fit for Grundy and Hawthorn would have the necessary money to pay for him. Let’s swap him for their gun midfielder the kid built like a man who they snared during a mid season pickup. I think he was the one where Hawthorn abused (exposed) a loophole in the system (since rectified). Number 44 Jai Newcombe. Just sayin’
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Big T wrote:We won't win the flag this year... need to see Grundy in the ones and see how he fits.
I really don't understand this comment." See how Grundy FITS"?? He'll fit, like the No1 Ruckman of the CFC. He'll fit like a 2 time AA Ruckman would.WHO could not use a person like this ? We're talking like Grundy has done something wrong.He was offered deal, which EVERYONE was championing and signed it and then got kneed into his knee and has missed time for it. And now he's some sort of ogre because someone has taken his opportunity for a lot less cash. What happens if HE gets injured or Cox gets injured.He will fit like a glove and we will have 3 A grade ruckman.
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

On the AFL website, they are reporting that Brodie Grundy has met with four clubs, Greater Western Sydney, Geelong, Melbourne, and Port Adelaide, but that his preference is to stay in Melbourne, which puts GWS and Port behind and suits Melbourne, who are expecting to lose Luke Jackson to Fremantle.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Piesnchess wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Yeah let’s give a premiership team an A grade player plus a bonus $300k each year until 2027.

IF this utter madness deal goes thru, we give a great ruckman, not even at his peak yet, to a premiership team, to ruck with the best ruckman in the game, to dominate US next season, to enhance the Deeeees even more, we should Molotov cocktail the $$%^%%$ Lexus centre, and im only half $$%^%%$ joking too, if this insanity goes thru, to vastly improve an already great dominant team, then im done, im $$%^%%$ done, I tell you that, if Wright lets this happen, whatever, im done.

Yeh im $$%^%%$ spewing, bigtime, sick of our Club being patsies, surely Fly would literally hit the roof if this vile horrid trade happened. :o :? :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :!: :!:
This is ME!!And what makes it even worse is that we have ""supporters" egging it on??? <snip> me!!
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Grundy’s manager has apparently spoken with Melbourne and GWS. Also rumoured Melbourne getting naughton from the dogs. Only way melbourne could afford that is if we trade them Grundy and pay a third of his salary, freeing up cash for Naughton. Lucky Melbourne!
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

qldmagpie67 wrote: But the are some facts that won’t change
1. If Grundy wants to stay he stays simple we can’t readily force him out the door
Collingwood can certainly heap psychological pressure on him to leave, just as they did with Adam Treloar, so it's a roadblock for Graham Wright but not an impossible one for him to bypass, and Grundy may decide that he's happier at a club that promises him the first ruck position, which Geelong and GWS can do.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Grundy’s manager has apparently spoken with Melbourne and GWS. Also rumoured Melbourne getting naughton from the dogs. Only way melbourne could afford that is if we trade them Grundy and pay a third of his salary, freeing up cash for Naughton. Lucky Melbourne!

IF this vile madness, utter crazy insanity, goes ahead, we prop up the bloody Dees, with a top ruckman, and pay his damn contract to a bunch of Toffs and upper class gits and Melb, as I say, im done, finished and done. How the hell did this shit happen, ala Treloar where WE have to actually pay the other club, for OUR former player to play for them, against US ????? Who was the brain dead utter halfwit who thought this shit out, its the most inane brainless brain fart idea of all time ????? I was thinking bout re joining the Woods next year, as a Member again , but NOT IN A MILLION YRS, IF THIS PUTRID TRADE GOES THRU, NOT IN A MILLION YRS. SPEWING ???? DAMN STRAIGHT I AM. :o :? :x :x :evil: :evil:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

May as well give Port the black and white stripes too, and we can wear magenta
Wonka

Post by Wonka »

stui magpie wrote: Despite assurances that we don't have a salary cap problem, reports are that Grundy has been told to look around.
The reports say that this is not a fire sale like the one that saw Treloar and the others lost for unders, but just repositioning by Wright so that he can pursue our need for an inside mid, such as Taranto, and a forward.