#16 Ed Allan

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Some say that we shouldn't have drafted Ed Allen because he had a bad injury last year. A couple of guys I can think of were drafted after having serious injuries as juniors. One was Chris Judd and the other was Joel Selwood. They did ok as I recall.

Some say that we shouldn't have drafted Ed Allen because of the "go home factor". Not all top line players want to return home. Paddy Cripps looks fairly happy. Of course some do, such as Tim Kelly who left Geelong after being an all Australian, and went back to WA to play with the Eagles. Geelong did ok out of that deal. They got high draft picks without which they would never have got Jeremy Cameron. Without Cameron Geelong probably wouldn't have won last year's flag so I doubt that too many Geelong people nowadays care too much about losing Tim Kelly.

Our staff has to ensure that Allen stays fit and develops well and then we just might have a star player on our hands.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

No indeed...if you can parlay a rookie pick into Cameron plus change, you have done very well indeed!
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

It wouldn't surprise me if Ed Allen ends up in the running for the rising star award this year. Reckon we have drafted an absolute beauty. If he can get a spot in our midfield, alongside Mitchell, De Goey and the Daicos brothers, then all of a sudden we look scarily good. Throw in Adams, Crisp and occasionally Pendles, and we have enormous depth in an area we previously struggled in.
MAY-Z

Post by MAY-Z »

Commits to another 2 years already
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

And good choice Ed

Australia,s greatest club
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
glasseyevfx

Post by glasseyevfx »

We shall set our course by the stars and not ships that pass in the night
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

He’s got those attributes you virtually can’t successfully compete against on a footy field. Speed, size, height, dual sided, versatile and the capacity for a tank. Based on those strengths, he’s got the “ potential “ to be the next Bont. As we all know, having the potential and fulfilling it are two very different outcomes. There’s no real knock on him and supposedly the only reason he slid so far was because he played so little footy in 2022.
He’s certainly an exciting watch !
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Seeing these recruits come into the club is always exciting - and it got me thinking that one of the most valuable things you can have as a club isnt necessarily a 1000 goal full forward - its actually the ability to make the players you have got better. It means that your team improves as each season wears on, it means you can trade for players that others think are not worth much and it must be rewarding for individuals to look back and see how they have progressed over a season.

Its hard to know form the outside, but I think this is something we probably have in spades that perhaps we didn't have previously and I am not sure its that common across the league.

Going to be great watching what Ed and the other young guys can become with coaching that nurtures and extends their latent talent.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear »

glasseyevfx wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/876634/draft-slider-in-r1-mix-for-pies-after-strong-pre-season

boy I like the sound of that!
Should know this, but didn't take any notice of the game on Friday. Did he play?
Buzz
Looking for sweet 16.....
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Post by BazBoy »

Both Allan & Ryan were prominent in VFL according to some fans who stayed on (I was not one of them)

Ryan grabbed a ball from a scrimmage,turned to goal and slotted one

I saw the video of it these fans put up on Face Book
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times

Post by stui magpie »

Allan played in the second half in the AFL game from what I saw, didn't do a lot but geezus he's a big boy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

He got 24 disposals at Port and according to our punter ...he looked great.
Really looking forward to seeing how this guy goes.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

masoncox wrote:He got 24 disposals at Port and according to our punter ...he looked great.
Really looking forward to seeing how this guy goes.
He looked like the classiest guy out there last night. A quick smooth mover with good skills. I was very impressed. No pressure but he reminds me a little of bontempelli
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Reckon he'll get a senior birth when one of our mids gets injured or needs a rest. He is a big bodied, quick moving player, and smooth as silk. Once he gets a game I doubt he'll play another VFL game again. He is simply too good for the ressies.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Imagine if we have a Bont on our hands here... would be marvelous especially given pendles retires in about 85 years and considering he slipped.a long way to us in the draft.
Buon Giorno