Pre-Match. Pies v. Saints. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Donny
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 24 times

Pre-Match. Pies v. Saints. All comments.

Post by Donny »

Thursday. MCG. 7.30

Collingwood v. St. Kilda.

In: B.Frampton, T.Mitchell, R.McInnes
Out: C.Dean and A.Johnson (omitted), W.Hoskin-Elliott (managed)

Last week's sub: Fin Macrae

Let's hear ya !!
Last edited by Donny on Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pretty much do or die.
Not many teams contend when they start 0-3.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Jezza
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Jezza »

Important game. Can't afford to be 0-3 or else our season is almost over before it's started or we'll be having to chase all year to make up ground.

In: Frampton, McInnes
Out: Johnson, Dean

Not sure if Mitchell will be available. Fly said he was having issues with his ankle that started after the practice game against Richmond a few weeks back.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

In: Frampton
Out: AJ

In: Tackling pressure, team defence
Out: Turnovers
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

A must victory, no iffs or butts. We must be totally switched on, from first bounce, run, carry, tackles, ruthless pressure, sling shot footy, real heat on these pricks. Back to basics, what we do best. Line in the sand match, time to get down an get dirty hands, bring our A game. Just win.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

What'sinaname wrote:Pretty much do or die. Not many teams contend when they start 0-3.
At the risk of being a math nerd, 0-3 in a 23 game season is more or less the same as 0-2 in an 18 game season
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

50-50 game, just glad it's not at dung heap Marvel where odds of victory would be much lower. We are playing worse than every team bar wet toast at the moment. Lose this and then we are faced with the almost impossible task of trying to save the season by winning up at the Gabba with self doubt at record levels. If we can make it to the end of round 3 with a 2-2 ledger I'll be very happy and have some belief that we are turning a corner and can get to where we need to be over the next 5 games.
Out BH Johnson & Dean
In Frampton, Reef & 2022-2023 effort and skills
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by piffdog »

Simply must start MacRae. Beggars belief that he was sub last week... I thought he was good when he came on.

Also wonder if we need a bit bigger beast down back to play on King (Frampton?). We all know that cant be Darcy Moore.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Personnel changes are important but right now, the team as a whole is playing very poorly. It's a bad sign that there was no improvement from our first game to our second game.

Getting us out of this slump (and it is a slump) is Craig McRae's job. This week is critical. Our form over the last 2 seasons has been better than anything St Kilda might dish up. But that's irrelevant if we can't recapture that form.
Pipes1970

Post by Pipes1970 »

Is anyone else having problems getting their reserved tickets off the Collingwood app?

I just don't have time for another ticket challenge.....
It doesn't matter what happens.... I just love this bloody club!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Magpietothemax wrote:In: Tackling pressure, team defence
Out: Turnovers
In: Tackling pressure, team defence, accurate passing, one grab marking, swarming, fast clever entry into 50.
Out: Handball to opposition, skill errors, turnovers, whimpy tackling, long bombs, slow response.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Pipes1970 wrote:Is anyone else having problems getting their reserved tickets off the Collingwood app?

I just don't have time for another ticket challenge.....
Have you tried to log out and log back in?

Thats what I did for the Swans game.
Logging back in resets the tickets to this season.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

We need to fix our glaring structural problem - the lack of a genuine big man at both ends of the ground.

Clearly Johnson has demonstrated he is not big/strong/competitive enough to be a KF. I'd bring in Kreuger. He has much less talent than Johnson, but is bigger, stronger and is a competitive beast. That's what we need. Get him to smash the packs and bring the ball to ground, to allow Hill, McCreery, Schultz and Elliott to do their thing.

Dean looks to me like a good VFL player, but not (yet) good enough for the AFL. Billy Frampton is taller and plays tighter.

Finally, it would be good to somehow squeeze McInnes into our side, but I'm not sure who would make way. Macrae showed enough to retain his spot.

Overall, we have to rediscover that manic pressure game we've used over the past 2 seasons. If we bring that, we should win comfortably.
5:11pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by 5:11pm »

[quote="RudeBoy"]We need to fix our glaring structural problem - the lack of a genuine big man at both ends of the ground.

Clearly Johnson has demonstrated he is not big/strong/competitive enough to be a KF. I'd bring in Kreuger. He has much less talent than Johnson, but is bigger, stronger and is a competitive beast. That's what we need. Get him to smash the packs and bring the ball to ground, to allow Hill, McCreery, Schultz and Elliott to do their thing.

Dean looks to me like a good VFL player, but not (yet) good enough for the AFL. Billy Frampton is taller and plays tighter.

Finally, it would be good to somehow squeeze McInnes into our side, but I'm not sure who would make way. Macrae showed enough to retain his spot.

Spot on.
Macrae in the guts , Frampton at FB, Kreuger at FF (when/if he’s fit), and McInnes in for Markov.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

While I don't anticipate the Saints to be as good this season as the two Sydney teams we've just played, it's not hard to see another loss coming unless we see a real improvement.
The Saints pushed us to the line in round 5 last season and that was during a period we had displayed some winning form in the lead up.
A Ross Lyon coached side as we know will always look to make you earn every score while in the bit of the Geelong game I saw they appeared to have a desire to slingshot off half back with speed.

Given how our defence has been sliced open these past 2 weeks I can see that causing us problems unless we see better structure and system in place come Thursday night.
To be honest our problem between the big sticks at each end right now is quite possibly down to what's going on between our ears and you only have to look at the opening round clash between Brisbane and Carlton to see a perfect example of how much the game is played above the shoulders.
Carlton looked a basket case, as good as 8 goals down before the game was flipped on it's head in the space of a quarter.
It was the same 23 players, on the same ground and on the same night so what was the reason for this?

The answer.
Attitude and effort.
Time for the real Collingwood to rise up.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!