Harley Reid Hype

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Harley Reid Hype

Post by derkd »

No, this isn't a slight Reid thread. The kid is the real deal, and will be a generational player (sans injuries).

My reason for posting this, was that I am glad to see Reid is grabbing the headlines and pulling the focus away from Nick Diacos. I think this will serve our side well. We need a new competition poster child.

As a side note, please Collingwood, we missed out on Judd when he wanted to come back, save some serious dollars and draft capital, and get in Harley's ear now.

Nick Diacos and Harley Reid in the black and white anyone?

Edit: he won't come cheap, you would need 3 first round picks (possibly more now) and over a million a year.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

Derkd, Harley Reid is a gun. No doubt about it.

But, you're Judd reference is incorrect. Us not getting Judd had nothing to do with money. Judd would've been happy to come to Collingwood. Only problem was, WCE wanted a couple of kids called Thomas and Pendlebury. The club didn't want to do that deal. Thomas played in a premiership. Pendlebury has played in 2, so far.

Carlton was happy to give up pick #3 and a young forward who was showing promise called Josh Kennedy. Josh Kennedy played in a premiership.

How many premierships did Chris Judd play in at Carlton? I forget.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

I said this at the time, watching the final game of 2023 H&A season.

Pauperoos only had to put up a good showing against GCS in Tassy, and perhaps suffer a late final term fade-out, to ensure they finished last and thus snaffled Reid with their first pick, ahead of 2nd-last WCE.

Nobody would have questioned an honourable loss here.

But no, not these numpties.

In perhaps THE greatest display of arrogance, stupidity and self sabotage i've witnessed in 40 years of watching AFL/VFL; these imbeciles decided they wanted to WIN, get off the bottom of the table, and thus miss out on the Reid pick.

They won, but oh boy, did they LOSE....

I seriously couldn't believe what I was witnessing.
TV broadcast Commentators were reading between the lines as well, and were somewhat dumbfounded at the result unfolding.

I do realise the point of playing games is to win, but the fall-out from this this will haunt them for 10-12 years.

Now, as much as I abhor tanking in sport, there's a time and a place for it, for the greater good of your club.
This was one of them and they failed miserabley. No; epically...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

^ your correct,but on current trajectory, will North even be around in 10 to 12 years? It has the late Fitzroy smell. I wonder if the AFL will shuffle them off to another town.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Plays like Nathan Buckley 2.0.
For a term that gets thrown around too easily, some of that play yesterday was truly elite. If you didn't watch the game, check out the highlights.
It's going to make some end-of-year highlight package.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I think he’s getting early dementia for sure! He is forgetting some bloody huge first year efforts from players like Phil Carman, Nathan Buckley, Trevor Barker, Robbie Flower, Phil Walsh, Brent Crosswell, and too many others to be named.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Jezza
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Jezza »

He has all the traits of a generational talent and becoming a superstar of the competition.

It's rare for me to be captivated by any non-Collingwood matches, but I was in awe of some of the things Reid was doing yesterday.

That goal from the centre clearance in the 1st quarter was out of this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbMkfWz6rwg
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

This year's Nick Daicos, for sure. But I think Nick is still ahead of him.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Jezza wrote:He has all the traits of a generational talent and becoming a superstar of the competition.

It's rare for me to be captivated by any non-Collingwood matches, but I was in awe of some of the things Reid was doing yesterday.
I've been wishing for months now that he was a Pies player.

WC got lucky. You can win the Spoon and the best kid available is not great. Or you can get someone like Harley. Fraser wasn't bad, but he was no Harley.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »

^ Don't feel so bad. Imagine how North Melbourne are feeling.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Harrysz wrote:Derkd, Harley Reid is a gun. No doubt about it.

But, you're Judd reference is incorrect. Us not getting Judd had nothing to do with money. Judd would've been happy to come to Collingwood. Only problem was, WCE wanted a couple of kids called Thomas and Pendlebury. The club didn't want to do that deal. Thomas played in a premiership. Pendlebury has played in 2, so far.

Carlton was happy to give up pick #3 and a young forward who was showing promise called Josh Kennedy. Josh Kennedy played in a premiership.

How many premierships did Chris Judd play in at Carlton? I forget.
IIRC Judd was happy to come to Collingwood, but his manager had the shits with us and talked him out of it and steered him toward Carlton instead. Had nothing to do with West Coast wanting Daisy and Pendles, discussions never got that far advanced.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

David wrote:This year's Nick Daicos, for sure. But I think Nick is still ahead of him.
But only because Nick Daicos is plainly the best footballer any of us have ever seen.
Jezza

Post by Jezza »