What are our chances ~ 2025

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

What are our chances ~ 2025

Post by SLORT »

Not saying we're done, but it's getting close.
So, next year. Thoughts, insights, ideas?
Have at it!
BazBoy
Been liked: 30 times

Re: What are our chances ~ 2025

Post by BazBoy »

That’s interesting our next season
Do we stick with our game that gave us a flag or tweak it -or try a new one
On top of that have we the players required to bounce back
A necessity is to look heavily into all of the above
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Watch Fly’s press conference. He’s finally started to question the method given his method has worked against us several times this season.

I don’t know if there is any method you can play against a team that is balls to the wall going for it in the last quarter.

Flys method when we’re sitting out there in front early in the last quarter is to shut the game down. That only worked well for us twice this year against Port and the Dees because they were both shot at 3/4 time.
We tried to shut down games against Hawthorn, Adelaide, Freo, Bulldogs, Richmond and Carlton and look where that got us. Very lucky to be ahead of the ledger but then on the flip side how much did we struggle in June/July against Gold Coast, Geelong, Essendon and Hawthorn. We had no answers when the other team controlled the ball movement with tempo or speed.

The holding on method is the one that has to change for me. I think we’ve lost the psychological edge now because we’ve stopped trying to win those games, instead we’re trying to save them. Rocca vs Presti? Too many times this season we out up the Presti card and it’s gone against us.

I’m not going to lay blame for this seasons results as Fly said in the presser, but in 2025 we need to come with a new method to combat the last quarter chokes. We need to stop trying to save the game and start trying to win it.

It seems our list is going to change little in 2025 but we need to find an all new performance level to not just remain competitive, but to find a new competitive edge. Instead of defending 3 and 4 goals leads after 3/4time we need to start attacking the last quarters and running out the games.

One of the catch cry’s we’ve failed this year is to play the minutes. Plenty of other teams have played the minutes instead and beaten us or gone very close. We had 7wins within a kick or so this year where luck went our way. Hawks, Bombers, Blues, Crows, Dockers, Roos and blues again. If some of them fell the other way we’d have finished at the bye. If all of them had rolled the other way we’d be 18th on the ladder behind Norf.

That’s how close the 2024 season has been. But if we don’t try a new game plan and some fringe personnel or get an improvement from the handfull of youngsters, 2025 could gurgle s away faster than 2024.

I want to see Fly start attacking the final quarter irrespective of having a lead. Need to see the team being ruthless in the last quarter instead of lame. That’s how we can find a new level to this team in 2025
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Too early to make a prediction at this stage without seeing the fixture and the personnel changes we’ll make in the off-season.

I hope a longer pre-season and losing the tag of being the “hunted” will work in our favour. Like this year, I see similar comparisons to Geelong with respect to our age profile. I’m hoping we might see a rebound next year similar to what they’ve experienced this year.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^agree with the change in game plan but perhaps that won’t be achievable with this list?
Mitchell and JDG back, McStay and Checkers in the fwd line and were a different beast but also a year older.
What we don’t have is enough depth in the middle. We needed McRae to come on, not be delisted or traded which seems likely.
So we need to find some midfielders who have a tank, for mine there is nothing in the VFL. Bytell and Parker are not the answer. Dimitana looks like he will come on but he is not going to be a game changer yet.
I think Howe and Cox may pull the pin with perhaps sidey?
We need a replacement for Murphy.

Well be ok next season but with out draft and trading currency I can’t see us bringing in enough talent to address our shortfalls so 7-12 finish.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
SLORT
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by SLORT »

I think our game-style of 2023 that won us a flag has shown itself only to be truly viable in a defensively elite team. It may be unpopular but I think that this is where we and Fly lucked out, in that he inherited that unit from N.Buckley, added the spice of free flowing football, a dash of Naicos, and voila a premiership. If we hope to get back to our best then the defensive unit needs to come under the microscope. And, as I've said before, IQ needs to be moved on to another role. Sure looked more energetic last night than he has done in most of this year. And if we can't find another N.Murphy it would be good to get an Alan Toovey-like player who has that dour, defensive versatility, to replace IQ in backline. Perhaps a big pre-season for TJ...

Having said all that, I still think we'll finish anywhere from 3-6.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

If Naicos’ poor disposal efficiency continues, I would like to see a positional move for Nick playing more as a half forward in 2025. He needs protection and to be let free at the same time. I believe he will be on for 2 or 3 goals a game from half forward as well as rotating through the centre and making assists.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

I am happy to go backwards if it means we are building for the next flag. I'm not sure that the club has the fortitude to do this though. I really don't like our list profile - it has a lot of holes in it.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Hawks have the blueprint.

SPEED.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

As the list stands (and i have talked ad nauseam about my issues with the age profile of this team so I wont go on) needs a refresh.

We need high end draft picks. Or we will spend the next few years in the wilderness between bottom four and top eight.

I say off load Degoey we may have to pay a bit of his salary but if we can get a pick around 8 to 12 take it. His age and injuries means we wont get a super high pick.

I would also put Quaynor up see if we can get a pick again around 8 to 15.

Hit the draft this year. We need to be bold. We can't go into next year old and with a midfeild that offers no help to nick.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^IQ was the one I was thinking about as well. JDG we can’t, Josh will just get smashed and it will hinder his development IMO.
Have said a few times, Howe and Cox to retire. Blood a ruckman.
Sidey probably tapped on the shoulder but he’s pulling his weight. Pendles is an all time great so he gets to call time.
None of it will happen. Well reload with a few back, fit and firing and be bottom half of the 8.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Given our aging list if we don’t make changes then expect next year to be similar to this year
We will be a also ran side around 8-12 position
Not good enough for finals but too good to get pointy end draft picks
Right now our biggest issue (apart from the list) is sorting out our back office mess
Either Wright is in and given the control to do what he was hired for originally or he’s out and we find the best list manager out there now and send Leppa and Bolton back to the coaches box
I think we need some fresh voices around the list anyways so I would happily let either of them go and look for a new up and coming attacking based assistant coach.
We’ve all banged on about who should go or stay but I’ll leave it at this
Do you think our players aged over 30 will be a better version of themselves next being a year older ?
History tells us NO
Right there is the answer to what needs to happen
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Maybe, just maybe it's time for Pendles and Sidey to both hang up their boots. This may upset some people, but as good as Pendles has been....his heroic last quarter against the Blues for instance....to my mind even he has struggled to string really good games together. About every 3 weeks he plays really well, but that's about all. Sidey is similar. On his day, as he demonstrated on Friday night, he is still great, but he is unable to perform at that level week in week out.

They are both legends, and Pendles in particular, is perhaps our GOAT. Nevertheless, I'd hate to see him play on and become just an ordinary player. Better to finish in good form. If our coaches believe that one or both of them are still capable of playing on at an elite standard next year, then I will back their judgement. I just think we need to consider the possibility of a 2025 season without them.

FWIW, I'd consider retiring Mitchell and Cox as well.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

There are a number of players on our list who dont have the tank to run out games any more. Their desire might still be there but physically their stamina levels are past it. They tire in the last quarter and get overwhelmed by younger, fitter, and faster opposition. To expect them to suddenly improve that next year is just wishful thinking. Most of them will be worse next year not better. The best we can do is call time on the most obvious examples this year and then either trade in replacements or go with who we have already, and plan to move more of them on before 2026.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Magpies are known to adapt and are proactive.
We will always have a good future...
https://youtu.be/82JA0vQ6RPU?si=vQkBPR3tYmjXEPXH
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️