Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I want the club to come out swinging. Tonight was appalling, it was not AFL standard.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:48 pm I want the club to come out swinging. Tonight was appalling, it was not AFL standard.
It was up to 2024 anti-Collingwood standard.

Don't expect Dildo and <snip – offensive language removed. Thanks, BBMods.> to show any accountability
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
CrossPie18
Been liked: 10 times

Post by CrossPie18 »

I haven’t posted for several years, although I look at the site regularly. I like to read what others are thinking and usually choose to be a silent observer…..but tonight is different.

The umpiring has fallen into an abyss. Rule interpretations vary from minute to minute - there is no consistency with judging holding the ball and incorrect disposal, the insufficient intent rule is a farce and the umpires choose to pay or not pay 50 metres at random. If that wasn’t a 50 metre penalty to McStay at the end then I’ll go he.

The AFL administration is in tatters - totally unfocused on the things that matter to supporters - ticketing, game day experience/comfort, rules that make the game enjoyable and rules that the average supporter can comprehend. It is truly screwed - the problem is that the administrators can’t tell they are doing a sub-standard job because they are still getting the crowds…..but just wait a few years. It will turn to crap in a few years and they will wonder “where’s the truck that hit us?”

What a coup to have Sydney, Brisbane, Port and Freo at the top, eh? Those megalomaniacs at the AFL can rest easy when the national comp actually looks national, even if it costs the local foundation clubs. Dopes.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

27 frees to 15 says it all.
The non-50 to McStay was the icing on their cake.
They went in dry tonight, but at least it makes our selection moving forward much easier.
Time to play the kids and the AFL to go back to a two-umpire system and prevent the 3rd and 4th umpires trying to 'impose' themselves on a game that is being ruined by their over-zealous application of some rules and ignorance of others.
If Nick Daicos got the frees for holding that Heeney got tonight, we win by eight goals.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

It wasn’t a 50 too many numpties here
Jezza
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

26-15 free kicks.

The McStay non-50 was absolutely criminal. Anyone could see the man on the mark took a few steps forward.

What is "insufficient intent"? The way the game is going, we might as well not have boundary throw ins anymore. Just pay the free to the team that didn't touch the ball last.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

CrossPie18 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:02 pm I haven’t posted for several years, although I look at the site regularly.
I like to read what others are thinking and usually choose to be a silent observer…..but tonight is different.
What a coup to have Sydney, Brisbane, Port and Freo at the top, eh?
Those megalomaniacs at the AFL can rest easy when the national comp actually looks national, even if it costs the local foundation clubs. Dopes.
The entire post was awesome and bang on the money re deluded wankers at AFL House.
Like our corrupt, bought freemason politicians - no accountability whatsoever.
Please post here more regularly; you raise our collective IQ substantially.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I have never ever heard Fly get angry about the umpiring. Last night he was fuming

“ There’s definitely an advantage for home ground. I thought it was a 50-metre penalty to the letter of the law. I think if it was at the MCG it would’ve been paid,” he said. “I’m sure the AFL will come out and say it’s a free kick or 50-metre penalty. There were a lot of deliberates tonight. It was a bit of a circus. I’m sure they’ll come out and justify that too. But yeah, umpires don’t always get it right.”

Even David King said we were robbed. And Grant Thomas: Played well Swans this quarter but Pies have been completely stitched by home crowd umpiring.

Full article here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bit-of ... 1759c48537
Mr Miyagi

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Should have been a throw in when Elliot kicked the ball over the boundary but score was a point — boundary umpire was looking in the opposite direction wtf. Clear as day, not even watching. Boundary ump has one job and they’ve been ducking it up all year

Laura Kane has to go. Fourth umpire has to go. Part time casual ground umpires have to go, umpiring is a full time job and do your lawyer or banking gig in your own time or piss off. Enough is enough

And I haven’t even ranted about N Daicos being illegally held and blocked and dragged to the ground constantly. Umps can see a soft touch on Heeney and pay frees, but ignore Nick. It’s a stitch up at this point.
David
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I can handle the non-50m penalty call – fair's fair, we got over the line against North thanks to a similar non-decision. But the umpiring otherwise was quite poor – particularly the automatic insufficient intent rule that they seemingly invented out of whole cloth for this game only – and Sydney seemed to keep getting 50/50 calls paid their way.

There was also a blatant holding the ball that should have been paid to us in our forward fifty with a couple of minutes left that could have led to a shot at goal and opportunity to retake the lead.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Leggie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

CrossPie18 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:02 pm I haven’t posted for several years, although I look at the site regularly. I like to read what others are thinking and usually choose to be a silent observer…..but tonight is different.

The umpiring has fallen into an abyss. Rule interpretations vary from minute to minute - there is no consistency with judging holding the ball and incorrect disposal, the insufficient intent rule is a farce and the umpires choose to pay or not pay 50 metres at random. If that wasn’t a 50 metre penalty to McStay at the end then I’ll go he.

The AFL administration is in tatters - totally unfocused on the things that matter to supporters - ticketing, game day experience/comfort, rules that make the game enjoyable and rules that the average supporter can comprehend. It is truly screwed - the problem is that the administrators can’t tell they are doing a sub-standard job because they are still getting the crowds…..but just wait a few years. It will turn to crap in a few years and they will wonder “where’s the truck that hit us?”

What a coup to have Sydney, Brisbane, Port and Freo at the top, eh? Those megalomaniacs at the AFL can rest easy when the national comp actually looks national, even if it costs the local foundation clubs. Dopes.
I will always support Collingwood but in 2027, Perth is getting a Rugby League team. That could very well be my new focus. Many of my friends and family feel the same. And not all are Collingwood supporters. I never thought id ever say this but I actually dont like the game any more. It is a shadow of its former self.
Bring Back Tranquilli
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again
AFL is the most unprofessional/‘professional’ sport in the world.
Not one part of the game is fair not even the $$$ distribution.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by think positive »

Woods Of Ypres wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:14 pm It wasn’t a 50 too many numpties here
Bulkshit! Have you seen how many 59’s have been handed out for over the mark this season, regardless if the defender had time to stop?

He **** chased him!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
duggieboy
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

Woods Of Ypres wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:14 pm It wasn’t a 50 too many numpties here
The coach begs to differ
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:30 am Should have been a throw in when Elliot kicked the ball over the boundary but score was a point — boundary umpire was looking in the opposite direction wtf. Clear as day, not even watching. Boundary ump has one job and they’ve been ducking it up all year

Laura Kane has to go. Fourth umpire has to go. Part time casual ground umpires have to go, umpiring is a full time job and do your lawyer or banking gig in your own time or piss off. Enough is enough

And I haven’t even ranted about N Daicos being illegally held and blocked and dragged to the ground constantly. Umps can see a soft touch on Heeney and pay frees, but ignore Nick. It’s a stitch up at this point.
Yeh, last night was an abomination of umpiring, ive never seen it so bad, biased, farkknuckle crap in six decades of barracking for the Maggies, its totall rooted, now. Bring back just TWO umpires, as it once was, both control one half of the ground, heck in the ol days, there was only ONE umpire.!! That wanker Dillon said, other week, "the umpiring has NEVER been better, " , shit whatever that friggin fruit cake is smokin, I want some !!!!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.