What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Auto tune. That's the one PP, I couldn't recall the name. Cheers.

David, I agree. I tried very hard to ignore a succession of songs from a variety of singers that sounded like Alvin trying hard to sing with a vibrator implanted firmly in his arse and turned on max.

To probably totally misquote someone, if you can make it on a computer with no actual musical instruments or musicians present, it's NOT REAL MUSIC.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

I'm not sure if I would like to try hard to ignore a succession of songs from a variety of singers that sounded like Alvin trying hard to sing with a vibrator implanted in his arse and turned on max . What's it like?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bend over tin tights and I'll show you Airborne style. Only way, hard way, get used to it. :twisted:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

pietillidie wrote: Talking Heads. Gotta' love their great 80s music vids, too.
Love Talking Heads. When BC (before children) went travelling with my wife for a couple of years in the early '80's: '81-'82
In Milan got to see Talking Heads live. All was good, fantastic concert, but they oversold tickets (? forgeries) & people were locked out - they began to pull down the ramshackle wire fence, the Italian Police over-reacted and fired tear gas - very unpleasant. The band stopped, they asked / demanded the Police to stop, 20 min later (actually can't recall how much later) & sore eyes later the concert continued.

Lots of other smoke in the atmosphere as well at the time!!

Got lots of their vinyl & one 'best of' CD. Great band.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Brought a few CD's to work (doing overtime night shift) & have on in the background:

Kev Carmody: Bloodlines;
Charlie Parr: Too much liquor, not enough gasoline;
The McGarrigle Hour: McGarrigle sisters, Wainrights: Loudon, Martha & Rufus amongst others;
Genesis: A trick of the Tail (late 70's)
Tori Amos: Live at Montreaux - brillliant versions of "A whole lot of love" & "smells like teen spirit"
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

stui magpie wrote:Auto tune. That's the one PP, I couldn't recall the name. Cheers.

David, I agree. I tried very hard to ignore a succession of songs from a variety of singers that sounded like Alvin trying hard to sing with a vibrator implanted firmly in his arse and turned on max.

To probably totally misquote someone, if you can make it on a computer with no actual musical instruments or musicians present, it's NOT REAL MUSIC.
This might change your mind about that, Stui:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgS252XT ... re=related

I saw Kraftwerk "performing" this stuff on a few laptop computers at a gig and it was actually a spectacular show. They also wrote exquisite tunes - recently the hook from "Computer World" showed up in a Coldplay song.

For a very different take on it, and just to prove it's as real as any music, here's a string quartet doing the same song, with the aforementioned David Byrne from Talking Heads singing! You'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Y5BSVOJPs
"The greatest thing that could happen to the nation is when we get rid of all the media. Then we could live in peace and tranquillity, and no one would know anything." - Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

I do like Kraftwerk, actually. But I'd say they're the exception.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Out Of The Blue.
HAL
Been liked: 3 times

Post by HAL »

What you said was too complicated for me.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pied Piper wrote:
stui magpie wrote:Auto tune. That's the one PP, I couldn't recall the name. Cheers.

This might change your mind about that, Stui:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgS252XT ... re=related

I saw Kraftwerk "performing" this stuff on a few laptop computers at a gig and it was actually a spectacular show. They also wrote exquisite tunes - recently the hook from "Computer World" showed up in a Coldplay song.

For a very different take on it, and just to prove it's as real as any music, here's a string quartet doing the same song, with the aforementioned David Byrne from Talking Heads singing! You'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Y5BSVOJPs
Not quite my taste but the melody is good, regardless of what it's played on. As David said, I'd call that an exception. Good melody written and played on synthesised instruments but also capable of being played well on traditional instruments.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Bought the CD "Slash" by Slash today. Guitarist from Guns and Roses for those who don't listen to Triple Eddie.

A collection of songs he's written, with a number of guest singers.

Actually quite good. Got it playing while I'm motoring around the house doing stuff.
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

eminems new album, very good. glad he's back.
Kingswood

Post by Kingswood »

oh and another vote to the death of auto tunes please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhludN8yU0s
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Eldorado.
kickit2me

Post by kickit2me »

Pied Piper wrote:The film Stop Making Sense is a fantastic document - an entire career boiled down to 90 minutes. Still the best concert film ever for mine
The Tom Tom Club's Boyfriend with the strobe light ending (Crosseyed and Painless) was trippy.

Sadly I now am listening to George Harrison's Cloud 9. Sad because he was my favorite Beatle and then suddenly he was gone. (Maybe aboard Cloud 9?)

........and sadly because my external speaker source has just blown out it's 'aux line in' today which has left me with a tinny rattling sound....GRRRR.

Now I'm onto a mans man.

Johnny Cash; Live at San Quentin
"And that effort by Ezard was pathetic" - Don Scott.