Unconscious habits.

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unconscious habits.

Post by stui magpie »

What happens when we're conscious of them?

A bit of fun (hopefully)

We all do some things without thinking about it. Just do it. and we usually do it the same way every time. But what happens when we try to do them while thinking about it.

Here's some tests.

Fold your arms. Which arm is on top? Can you do it the other way?

When you put pants on, which leg goes in first?

Stand up. When you take a step forward to start walking, which foot do you step off? If your right leg is the one that takes off, you're stepping off the left.

While you're standing, take 1 step forward and jump into the air off one leg. Just a little, not trying to break anything. Which leg did you jump off?

Did the last one get you all tangled up trying to think what works? If the leg you normally step off is the same you normally jump off you likely just went down in a tangled mess.

If you just did all of these while muttering to yourself, did you have a partner, kids or pets looking at you like you'd lost your mind?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I must confess to being disappointed that no one reported injuries trying to put their pants on after reading this thread.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Unconscious habits.

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:What happens when we're conscious of them?

A bit of fun (hopefully)

We all do some things without thinking about it. Just do it. and we usually do it the same way every time. But what happens when we try to do them while thinking about it.

Here's some tests.

Fold your arms. Which arm is on top? - right, Can you do it the other way? its uncomfortable!!

When you put pants on, which leg goes in first? usually left, but im limping pretty bad, i sit on the bed and pull up both!

Stand up. When you take a step forward to start walking, which foot do you step off? If your right leg is the one that takes off, you're stepping off the left. left foot forward, right moves second

While you're standing, take 1 step forward and jump into the air off one leg. Just a little, not trying to break anything. Which leg did you jump off? id say right but i aint jumping at the moment!

Did the last one get you all tangled up trying to think what works? If the leg you normally step off is the same you normally jump off you likely just went down in a tangled mess.

If you just did all of these while muttering to yourself, did you have a partner, kids or pets looking at you like you'd lost your mind?
nope i always talk to my self, that way i know ill get a nintelligent answer! [/b]
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting and thanks.

I'm right with the arms and left leg into the pants first as well.

I can't figure which leg I start walking off, when I'm conscious about it I can do either equally.

I know I favour jumping off the left leg but I don't know if that's natural or learned behaviour after I buggered my right knee as a kid.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

Right leg always goes into jocks or pants first.

I'd never really noticed it, but when I turn in the pool, my first stroke is always with my right arm. This morning I used my left arm first. It felt really awkward at first, but after a dozen turns I got into a rhythm.

A very important one for us hole digging plumbers is using a shovel both left and right handed. You'd be physically unable to dig all day one sided. I worked that one out about 38 years ago. :)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

I know I always put my right sock on first for some reason!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I tend to leave the socks in my exercise shoes and work boots as I only wear them for a short time then take them off. I wash them after a few wears.

When putting them back on, I take the sock out of the left shoe and put it on my right foot and vice versa.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Ewwww
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

You'd wash a pair of socks you've worn for less than an hour?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Yep! I never put dirty socks back on. I’ll wear a pair to footy, change into footy socks then put a fresh pair on after the game. Of the games close to home that first pair may be worn less than an hour.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Fair enough. I generally don't wear socks at all, at least not the past 2+ years. When I do, I'm happy to wear them more than once provided they have a decent time to air out between wears.

I sweat in a lot of places, feet aint one of them.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Ewwww
think positive

Post by think positive »

Ewwww
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

My beloved was weirded out by me putting on my socks before my jeans/pants.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive

Post by think positive »

Really? I do that too, saveshousting the pant legs up!